Question Question about argb connections.

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Hello,

After my long search of PC components, and after watching 200+ hours of tech reviews etc, I finally am at the end of it (for the first).
But, there are still, some questions where I just couldn't find answers too.
Those are:
-Does the GPU have an extra argb cable when it has argb on it?
-How does a sata powered argb hub work, and, could I use this as one for 7 DC CF120 fans?
-How come that the RM850X psu, that I got for my components, appereantly does not have an extra 4pin cable for the cpu? Or could I connect it somehow? (just curious)
-Is it still worth it buying a HDD for Media etc? I found lots of different opinions on that and I'm not quite sure if I should get one.
-Would it pay off more getting a 970 plus evo nvme ssd or a 980?
---
Specifications:
-Matrexx 70 3f as Case
-B550-F Gaming (no wifi cuz im dumb) as MB
-RTx 3080TI as GPU
-Ryzen 7 5800x3d as CPU
-64GB 3600mhz Mushkin ram
-Samsung 980 pro as SSD1
-Samsung 980/970 plus evo(?) as SSD2
[-Maybe an 4TB HDD?]
-Corsair RM850X as Psu
---
Thanks for possible answers in advance,
Vale :)

EDIT1: Would I also need a PWM hub? Ik there are some that come with the case and packaging but ye.

AlexianaBritmonkey

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
Regarding your GPU:
There's no way to tell without knowing your exact model or what model you purchased. Though they don't regularly (or by default) come as a separate header and are instead commonly addressed through the OEM/manufacturer software, as a configurable device on your PCIe bus (which the software may conveniently show you as just a device).

Regarding your ARGB controller:
The controller you picked will be powered by SATA-style power connections. The purpose of this hub is to relay the data signal, but power the ARGB peripherals from the SATA interface. This avoids overloading the motherboard's supplied power rail. Your chosen hub uses 3-pin connections (on a four pin header/connector as +5v, Data, Blank, Ground), as do your fans. Both function at 5v for their individual power supply levels (supplied and consumed by your motherboard and fans respectively).

PWM hub or not?
Probably not a bad idea. The ARGB controller is just for the ARGB lines, and won't involve the actual fan mechanisms and electronics. They are for all intents and purposes two separate systems. You can try and look for some active PWM controllers (like Corsair's 'Commander'? controllers) or a passive splitter that drives multiple fans off of one PWM header on your motherboard (effectively synchronising all of them given they're the same type of fan). A fan hub with external power will be required for this situation, unless you're not planning to use all of the fans off the motherboard to start with. 7 fans may or may not be too much power draw on the headers on the motherboard.

Regarding your PSU:
I checked the manual at https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_RMx_2018_Manual_Web_AC.pdf (which Corsair publishes). The manual states you should receive two of the "EPS/ATX12V 8 pin (4+4) cable" units, meaning you'll have two cables, each with eight pins divided into two bunches of four. Most motherboards require just one set of these, as one EPS 8pin (or 4+4pin, or 2x 4pin). The extra cable will likely not be necessary given the chipset - though I haven't checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valencious

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Regarding your GPU:
There's no way to tell without knowing your exact model or what model you purchased. Though they don't regularly (or by default) come as a separate header and are instead commonly addressed through the OEM/manufacturer software, as a configurable device on your PCIe bus (which the software may conveniently show you as just a device).

Regarding your ARGB controller:
The controller you picked will be powered by SATA-style power connections. The purpose of this hub is to relay the data signal, but power the ARGB peripherals from the SATA interface. This avoids overloading the motherboard's supplied power rail. Your chosen hub uses 3-pin connections (on a four pin header/connector as +5v, Data, Blank, Ground), as do your fans. Both function at 5v for their individual power supply levels (supplied and consumed by your motherboard and fans respectively).

PWM hub or not?
Probably not a bad idea. The ARGB controller is just for the ARGB lines, and won't involve the actual fan mechanisms and electronics. They are for all intents and purposes two separate systems. You can try and look for some active PWM controllers (like Corsair's 'Commander'? controllers) or a passive splitter that drives multiple fans off of one PWM header on your motherboard (effectively synchronising all of them given they're the same type of fan). A fan hub with external power will be required for this situation, unless you're not planning to use all of the fans off the motherboard to start with. 7 fans may or may not be too much power draw on the headers on the motherboard.

Regarding your PSU:
I checked the manual at https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_RMx_2018_Manual_Web_AC.pdf (which Corsair publishes). The manual states you should receive two of the "EPS/ATX12V 8 pin (4+4) cable" units, meaning you'll have two cables, each with eight pins divided into two bunches of four. Most motherboards require just one set of these, as one EPS 8pin (or 4+4pin, or 2x 4pin). The extra cable will likely not be necessary given the chipset - though I haven't checked.
Heij!

Thanks for the answer!
Tho, would it be a bad Idea to use both the 8pin and the 4 pin for my CPU? Does it decrease voltage possibilitys for my GPU? Or does it not matter?
Thanks in advance!