[SOLVED] Question about Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS

May 20, 2021
Hello,

So I'm building a new PC with ryzen 5 5600g and Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS.

I was wondering do i need to flash the bios or no? I tried looking for answers on google but i still can't find the answer. Some of them saying Update is required and some is saying it'll work without bios update.

Building the PC without GPU atm because GPU prices is hella high.

Solution
It depends on when the board was made. If made after the 5000 series was released it probably has a BIOS that will support but you could also get 'new-old stock' that was made before the release.

BUT...it has a flashback feature so even if it doesn't startup you can update without a CPU. Just follow instructions, be sure to rename the BIOS binary file with the utility included with the distribution archive.

Even if it does work you'll want to update BIOS to the latest. Updates have fixed several problems with USB drop-outs, improved memory compatibility and enables Resizeable BAR.

EDIT: Also, you can not use it without a GPU as Ryzen CPU's do not have an iGPU. You need to get an APU to have that.

Hopefully you have a GPU you can use.
It depends on when the board was made. If made after the 5000 series was released it probably has a BIOS that will support but you could also get 'new-old stock' that was made before the release.

BUT...it has a flashback feature so even if it doesn't startup you can update without a CPU. Just follow instructions, be sure to rename the BIOS binary file with the utility included with the distribution archive.

Even if it does work you'll want to update BIOS to the latest. Updates have fixed several problems with USB drop-outs, improved memory compatibility and enables Resizeable BAR.

EDIT: Also, you can not use it without a GPU as Ryzen CPU's do not have an iGPU. You need to get an APU to have that.

Hopefully you have a GPU you can use.

Solution
May 20, 2021

Alright thank you.
I was wondering can i flash bios after i fully built the PC? with everything installed?

The Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS has flashback on the rear I/O panel. A feature that allows the Bios to be updated with just power to the Motherboard and without a CPU using a USB flash drive.
There is risk associated with updating the Bios however it is minimal and this has to do with the minute possibility you loose power during the Bios update process.

Bios updates are essential to:

1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
  2. Improve system Performance
  3. Better RAM compatibility
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file to (TGB550MP.CAP) or by using the BIOSRenamer tool.

Download the Bios file 2423 from ASUS support to your desktop then once renamed transfer the file to an empty USB that has been formatted to FAT32 single partition.
Insert the usb into the appropriate port as per your user manual page 1-6.
Depress the Bios flashback button for 3 secs till it begins to blink. Let it do it's thing as it can take a few minutes to complete. Should it stop and remain lit then something has gone wrong.

Follow these instructions carefully and you should have no problems.

It's also not a CPU...it's an APU. I missed it that OP was getting a 5600g, but the note's still valid.
I said nothing about CPU nor APU.
Call it what you want it still has an integrated graphics processing unit.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/5/22611066/amd-ryzen-5000-g-series-processor-graphics-gpu-cpu

OOPS!!!

I said nothing about CPU nor APU.
Call it what you want it still has an integrated graphics processing unit.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/5/22611066/amd-ryzen-5000-g-series-processor-graphics-gpu-cpu

OOPS!!!
Thanks for the pedantry. My note did make the distinction though.

It's not not just me that doesn't call the 'G' processors CPU's, it's AMD too. Correctly, they call it "Ryzen Desktop Processors with Radeon graphics". Marketing people can be pretty particular when it comes to product identy, but that's more than a bit wordy so most people just use the old moniker...Accelerated Processing Unit or APU for short.

A bit of my own pedantry.

Last edited:
Pedantry indeed.
The misinformation/note I mainly noticed was the advice to OP that he needs to get a dedicated GPU. That is certainly not pedant.
You misread. I just noted that a 5600X would need a discrete GPU thinking he had one, which is perfectly true even if patently superfluous as he's got a 5600G, a fact conceded already.

The pedantry is posting the link. Nobody has disputed a 5600g has an embedded GPU.

Last edited:
You misread. I just noted that a 5600X would need a discrete GPU, which is perfectly true even if patently superfluous, a fact conceded already, as he's got a 5600G.

The pedantry is posting the link. Nobody has disputed a 5600g has an embedded GPU.

I misread nothing. You misread the OP initial post, stating he had a 5600X when he had a 5600g. The rest of the BS came after.
Why don't you own your mistake and move on?

I never like to draw argument. You would have to be better prepared.
Your advice and comebacks were of little help to the OP however the last word is yours before you catch the ire of a moderator.
Me?

This whole exchange is of no use to OP but you started it.. if you'd where I admitted my note was superfluous as I missed OP had an APU it should have stopped right there.

Thanks for otherwise copying my advice on updating BIOS and the flashback feature. At least you added something to be helpful.

Hello,

So I'm building a new PC with ryzen 5 5600g and Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS.

I was wondering do i need to flash the bios or no? I tried looking for answers on google but i still can't find the answer. Some of them saying Update is required and some is saying it'll work without bios update.

Building the PC without GPU atm because GPU prices is hella high.
If the mobo has bios 1401 or higher the cpu should function.