Question about ATI cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Well iv just built my very first computer 5 months ago,

i7 920
ud4p
6gb ddr3
1tb

etc, well my gtx 285 that i had first went faulty, in the end i was offered credit as a suitable card could not be found.

So now i have 500(AUS) to spend on a card (running off 7800gt atm)
I was looking at some cards and saw the new HD 5000 range, and everyone was saying how great they were.
Why are they so cheap? i was looking at the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 for only 200dollars!

My mate at school said to always go for nividia as there trustworthy, that ati cards run hot, ati cards are known to crash alot etc

Im slightly leaning towards ATI cards

So are they great cards?

AMW1011

Distinguished

The reasons not to buy a GTX 295 over a 5870 are not individual, they are accumulative. I would mostly agree with you except that the GTX 295 has all those shortcomings, only barely outperforms the 5870 which will become a non-issue with better drivers, and, the deal breaker, costs at least $100 more. If we were comparing a GTX 295 and a 5870 at the same price I still would not think that the GTX 295 is worth it, but I could see the point, but not at the current prices.

As for PhysX, it is a non-issue because it is dead. The DX11 compute shader is a multi-platform solution which renders PhysX useless.

The 295 is also completely sold out on Newegg, making it even harder to buy than a 5800.

And it is a real shame NVidia decided to make PhysX a marketing gimmick. It had potential back when it came out, but now we must wait longer for a compute version to be made.

Well if you're right, I guess we can go to the December GFX card round up on the THG home page and see the DX11 cards sweep all the "best in price range" categories.....oops.....what's this ? .... we have 13 DX10 cards (8 nVidia and 5 ATI 4xxxx) winning the "best choice in price" categories and just 2 DX 11 cards taking a category ????

Doesn't seem to me that the authors are much in agreement with your position.

AMW1011

Distinguished
The word of Tom's is not law. Besides, I am not saying that the 5000 series are the best, I am not saying that DX11 will come in handy anytime soon. My points are simply thus:

1 For the minuscule performance difference and the disadvantages of heat, power, scaling, stability, and features, the GTX 295 is absolutely not worth the extra $100 by any means.

2. PhysX, with its presence only really felt in 2 titles currently, is already dead because any game coming out in the near future will be able to utilize the compute shaders of DX11, which is a cross platform technology that will entice a larger user base.

No it's not law but it does come across as unbiased. THG and the other sites I am visiting just don't see DX11 being anything big for 2 years. As industry outsiders, you and I are outside the sources of information that "insiders" have. And when I see a company like EVGA building and marketing special PhysX cards w/ 2 different GPU's, you have to wonder "what they know".

The GTX isn't $100 more than the 5870....your pricing is outta date, you've just about doubled the actual cost difference based upon what the article is quoting.

Shaders don't do PhysX ... shaders don't make walls explode, carry thousands of broken bits , do steam and fog, do cloth waving in the breeze and leaves all blowing outta the way when your toon runs by......they do shadows ... like the border on a frame in a word processor makes it look more 3D.

Also, with all major consoles supporting PhysX, which is easier for a game developer to put on the table ? The PHysX effort gets to share development economies of scale with XBox, PS3 and Wii versions.

All I want is for people to be able to make their own value judgments w/o having anyone else's value system pushed upon them. You like DX11, great, I wouldn't wanna talk you outta it....personally, looking at the Heaven DX11 benchmark, I had to look at the captions under the pictures to "notice" many of the effects which DX11 provides. Looking at the video on the firingsquad site, though I will probaaly never play Batman, all those steam, flag, glass, exploded bits things were stuff I never seen before....I didn't need a caption to see the difference in what I was seeing.

If I like Corona and you like Budweiser, no reason we both can't have a beer and each get what pleases our own pallet. Take my word for it, I don't need you to like the same thing as I like before I buy you a beer. But if you're buying, please to make me drink a Colt45 cause tho you may love it, the taste just doesn't appeal to me. The cost may not be worth it to you but it very well might be to someone who enjoys what they enjoy.

Oh noes !!1!! Chris and Don don't agree with him/us, whatever will we do? :sarcastic:

Perhaps think about it for a moment, in that PhysX is something that is a DETRIMENT to graphics performance, the BEST PhysX setup for ANY rig (AMD or nV) is adding a second card as a PPU, so the argument and it's use in reviews is BS for people looking for checkbox features, not people who actually want to game, and a PhysX fanboi would get a better experience from and HD5870 + GTS250 for physX all for the same price as that single GTX295, which having to do the PhysX load and graphics load at the same time would kill it and likely bring it down to GTX285 levels of performance if you're lucky (it's already struggling with memory and now 256MB is gone for PhysX ?).

That will get you better performance, better features, and better resale value, and even probably give you about the same power consumption since you're so intent on that (remember once again no comparing equal performance either).

The GTX295 is a dead fish and even the PhysX argument doesn't work when you actually think about the cost of that debris PhysX and the fact that it really is better left to a dedicated card (GPU or PPU), not the graphics card doing your graphics workload.

AMW1011

Distinguished

The lowest price on a new GTX 295 from a reliable store:
http://www.jr.com/pny/pe/PNY_VCGGTX295SX/

Also you know NOTHING about what you are talking about bro. Physics are classically done by the CPU and PhysX allows the GPU to process the physics as well as the CPU, by utilizing the shaders as multiple processors. Compute shaders allow all DX11 cards to do most CPU task such as artificial intelligence, calculations, and PHYSICS.

I have no true interest in what people buy, but I, just like you, express our opinions to educate others and to discuss. The thing is, until you can back up your opinion with evidence and not just the opinions of others then it will remain just that, an opinion.

Despite all this, understand that I have come to respect most of your opinions and value your contributions, I just can't agree on your opinion.

Actually pricing is current, NewEgg listed, cheapest 5870 $409, cheapest GTX295 (out of stock) is $509 so at minimum $100 difference (plus tax), and for the only GTX295 in stock it's a $290 difference. So his figure is pretty accurate, regardless of what old articles quote as the price at the time of their writing that you're using. :non:

Also, with all major consoles supporting PhysX, which is easier for a game developer to put on the table ? The PHysX effort gets to share development economies of scale with XBox, PS3 and Wii versions.

GPU physX is on NONE of those consoles, not event he one with the nVidia GPU, so one again, you're talking apples & oranges, and it'd be just as easy to make the PhysX layer OpenCL or DirectCompute as it would be to make it work on the Wii (which is a complete recode) and the only reason nV would try to keep it to CUDA would be to interest those who can't figure out that Phys isn't a reason to get a graphics card anymore than Eyefinity is a reason for the average user either. :heink:

For the 2 years nV has had PhysX, they have done little to make it any more compelling than it was when it was a PPU solution under Ageia, which doesn't speak well for the future either. :pfff:

All I want is for people to be able to make their own value judgments w/o having anyone else's value system pushed upon them.

That's not what you want, it definitely doesn't reflect your posts even in this thread.
BTW, you know how people make their own value judgments? They listen to all the information provided by all side and all the counterpoints, and then they make their OWN decisions, saying that above is a cop-out trying to stifle AMW from replying as if you have a moral high ground wanting something he couldn't possible want either. Same when you try and discredit his pricing.

You aren't seeing it from both sides as you say, cause if you were you would've come to the conclusion in my post above this that it's better to get a GTS250 with the HD5870 and get EVERYTHING than pay the same or MORE for the GTX295 and get much less. :pfff:

And your beer analogy sucks, because those are all terrible beers for the mid-class, even from those breweries. No one is trying to make you drink Colt 45, or Old Speckled Hen, but we are telling you to stop telling people that the reason they should buy a beer is for the free coasters that comes with the 6 pack as a sign of quality. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

Just think about what you are saying......use DX11 cause it's new technology and you gotta have new technology in order to do things "classically".....talk about a classic oxymoron.....classic = old like in classic windows UI. My classic car was built before you were born. Classical music was composed by guys who died 100's of years ago.

We are talking real world today....not "the old days". DX11 isn't going to do squat for a PhysX encoded game. Do you know what tesla does ? This is the age of GPU computing. GPU's are being used in supercomputing to do advanced scientific modeling for the specific purpose of taking the load OFF THE CPU ! To do work that is done faster and more efficiently on a GPU than on a CPU. That's the whole idea.

http://www.gpucomputing.eu/
http://gpgpu.org/

Both of the most popular game engines in use on the PC today - Unreal Engine 3 and Gamebryo - support PhysX, and almost a year ago EA and 2K Games signed on with their support.

Your DX11 won't do squat for a PhysX encoded game. Try looking up the Cryostasis reviews for example where the best a any ATI card could manage was a measly 11 fps.....every single ATI card in the test gets the same score cause the GPU can't do squat. The GPU can't decode PhysX and it must be done by the CPU.

Now if you are going to argue that you know everything and I know nothing because "in the future" game developers are going to use DX11 to do physics instead of PhysX well then I have nothing to offer in response as I make it an habit never to try and argue with people who know the future.

It's simple.....if someone likes PhysX and they get enjoyment out of the features that are not offered on any other platform, what's your beef ?

AMW1011

Distinguished

That is not what I meant, the rest of the context of that comment was in an above post. DX11 compute shaders are not better because they are new, they are better because they can do everything PhysX can plus multitudes of other applications. That isn't even the point though, the point is DX11 WILL WORK ON BOTH NVIDIA AND ATI HARDWARE, not just nVidia like PhysX which makes PhysX a proprietary application that has the potential to alienate a large chunk of the consumer base.

How many games will be using DX11? Yeah, almost all the ones that will be released after 2012 and many before 2012. Yes PhysX is supported by Unreal Engine 3 and Gamebryo because up until a month ago, PhysX WAS THE ONLY TRUE OPTION.

My argument is that people should enjoy PhysX now while they can, but not to make long term decisions based on it because it wont be relevant for much longer. I'm all for slapping in a 9600 GT for some PhysX in Batman or Mirrors Edge, but don't buy an nVidia card for PhysX over any DX11 card, ATI or, eventually, nVidia, because that DX 11 card will be able to do it itself, in likely more titles, for a longer period of time, and with better results. To be honest, if there is another game that comes out that uses PhysX in a meaningful way like Batman AA or Mirrors Edge I'll be somewhat surprised, but I promise that you wont see anything after that.

Jack, regardless of this I see you making valid points and level-headed discussion elsewhere and I respect you, so lets please try to keep this from being any more heated.

All consoles support PhysX technology.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/physx_faq_uk.html
"PhysX software is widely adopted by over 150 games, is used by more than 10,000 developers of all types and is supported on Sony Playstation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PC. PhysX is optimized for hardware acceleration by massively parallel processors."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-and-Sony-Sign-Agreement-over-PhysX-Support-on-PS3-107020.shtml
http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-Offers-PhysX-SDK-for-Wii-Developers-107258.shtml
http://www.aeropause.com/2009/03/nvidia-takes-physx-to-the-wii/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-sega-capcom-terminator,7663.html
"Darkest of Days will be released in fall 2009 for the Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs"

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/03/20/nvidia-expands-physx-toolset-to-wii?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_joystiqnintendo

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=34402
PhysX technology works across all major gaming platforms, including Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and the PC, and can be accelerated by both the CPU and any CUDA™ general purpose parallel computing processor, including NVIDIA GeForce® GPUs. The massively parallel architecture in GeForce GPUs can handle 10 to 20 times more visual complexity than what’s possible today on traditional platforms, and can leverage the best of both GPU and CPU architectures to deliver the ultimate experience to the user. More importantly, NVIDIA PhysX technology will deliver faster performance and richer environments based on the number of GPUs or CPUs in the PC, or the varied computing capacities of today’s console platforms.

http://nvidia-physx.software.informer.com/9.0/
PhysX software is widely adopted by plenty of games. It is used by more than ten thousand registered users and is supported on Sony Playstation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PC.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/nvidia-licenses-physx-technology-for-sonys-playstation-3
NVIDIA has just announced that it has nailed down a tools and middleware license agreement for Sony's PlayStation 3, effectively bringing the aforesaid physics tech to what's arguably the most potent game console on the market today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX#Games
100+ PhysX games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support
3 DX11 games

And, by the way, I don't drink beer and rarely play games......perhaps this will help you understand the concept of allegory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

Agreed. I build boxes for many types....mostly it's for CAD guys and GIS peeps. I soon then wind up building or suggesting components for the kids boxes. Most of my time spent there is "de-culting" people from the absolutes they have gotten from friends, kids at school and forum posts with little fact and lots of emotion. I am just as happy to throw a ATI card in a box as an nVidia one....as long as it gives people what they want. people ask questions, I say go watch the PhysX video .... if you want that, pick a budget and then an nVidia card that fits that budget. It's not up to me to decide whether they like it or not.

And I am very happy that ATI has two years running swiped the performance crown at XMas time. I rooted for the Red Sox against the Yankees (I live in NY, so you can imagine how that was) and I rooted for Chicago the next year......nVidia has held a public mindset similar to Intel's as Intel (and nVidia) had "mindshare" as a performance leader to AMD's (ATI's) "value leader".

Now look at the December rankings ....nVidia owns all the low spots and ATI doesn't come on till the high end with only the 260 and 295 holding any kind of mention. This puts the two companies on more even ground which is the best thing for the consumer. If ATI could just get their production up while nVidia is stalled, they could really catch up in market $$ and force lower prices for years to come.

DX10 was a complete flop. I think we are all hoping DX11 gives us something to get excited about. With a 2 + year development cycle for any really good game, it's gonna be a while before DX11 makes it's impact .... unless one really good game comes out and smashes that assumption down. Then again, Halo 3 was supposed to do that for Vista and DX10, it didn't. It's hard for me to put great faith in DX11 when "I ain't seen nothing yet".

Most of the people here change video cards every two years. At this point in time, for those people, a 4870x2 or a GTX 295 is still a fine choice. I am what I like to call a "hardware whore" ..... here's how I pick memory ... drill down thru newegg filters 240 pin, to DDR3-1600 etc and then pick CAS7 ---- sort on best price ....lowest price from reputable vendor wins. I just don't see any logic to "future proofing" against 3 years from now when most of us won't have that card in 2 years anyway. Of course, like the THG author's in the article, if your plan is to go 3-4 years, my advice ..... don't risk the buyers remorse, ya can always grab a 260 or something if ya get the itch to do PhysX.

Maybe because there's only two choices but with vid cards, sometimes it's like a religion. People have the logos as avatars, they will argue one way one month that power and heat don't matter and the flip flop when their deity comes out w/ a product reverses the field. Twice today I have seen it stated that the 5870 "outperforms" the 295 .... numbers are what they are.... there's no gray area. I don't do 'religion" in any shape or form ...well I guess you could call me a Pastafarian.

http://www.venganza.org/

AMW1011

Distinguished

You see a lot of people are nervous of DX11 because of DX10 and I keep hearing "Well DX 10 didn't amount to anything", but they forget that neither did DX8, look how long DX9 lived and it still lives today. The entire Vista/DX10 was a failure thanks to bad business decisions. DX10 was a failure in particular because it was modified at the last minute to pacify a particular company, not naming any nVidia's... erm I mean names, because that company could not deliver a product that could make the original DX10 work. The original DX10 had a lot of the exciting things that DX11 now has, but they were taken out which made the difference imperceptible. Note that I do not hate nVidia though that certain episode pissed me off, I in fact bought 2 $300 GPUs from them. Regardless I have high hopes for DX11 and thanks to the adoption of Win. 7, the simultaneous release of DX11 and the 40nm technologies of GPUs, and the whole "OH WOW THIS ONE SAYS 11 IT MUST BE BETTER !!!1111" mentality of the mindless sheep some call consumers and that isn't even mentioning all the exciting advantages that can be utilized in future games with DX11. Regardless, who really know what will happen.

As for those who take brand favoritism as if it is a religion, it truly is getting old. At least in the GPU section of PC hardware, the favoritism is more about false myths about either brand than in the CPU section where it is truly ridiculous with AMD's smoothness and megatasking abilities, ect.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
PhysX as an enhancable feature through Nvidia Hardware, and PhysX as a language and method of achieving physical effects on game environments as used in a console, are two different things.

When a console is "capable" of using PhysX, it is just as capable as using "Havoc" as found in many more titles, it is running a game designed by that standard.This is not the same as the extra stepping of environmental effect that having a dedicated PhysX card allows in a limited amount of PC titles.

Pleae do not confuse the two again, it dilutes your argument, and makes you look uninformed.

Re-Read what I wrote and try to understand WHY it matters you PhysX PR TOOL!

NONE OF THE CONSOLES USE GPU PhysX !! [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

ANY PC can use CPU PhysX ! :hello:

Instead of just Cutting and Pasting PR clips from Wiki and the nV's site, perhaps it would be better if you knew WTF you were talking about ! [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support
3 DX11 games

I see your Wiki quote (which is wrong) and raise you "Transition to DirectX 11 Will Be The Fastest Ever";
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20091211120431_Transition_to_DirectX_11_Will_Be_Fastest_Ever_Analyst.html
Which you can't argue with because as you said previous, you don't know anything and you'll leave it in the hands of the experts. :kaola:

And, by the way, I don't drink beer and rarely play games......perhaps this will help you understand the concept of allegory

No, it's actually more helpful in understanding why you don't know WTF you're talking about Wiki-boy ! :pfff:
Go boot up a game and have a beer! [:thegreatgrapeape:3]

Actually UnrealEngine3 also has it's OWN physics engine for the GAME physics, the PhysX support is limited to the debris physX in most of the titles that have UE3 as the base. And Gamebryo uses BOTH PhysX and Havoc (Oblivion/Fallout3 is Gamebryo and Havoc)

Your DX11 won't do squat for a PhysX encoded game.

Except for render the graphics, which is still the most important thing for a graphics card to do, debris physics can be hacked in like it already has been for DX9/DX10 games.

Until GPU accelerated PhysX can actually do game physics, it's simply a checkbox that isn't worth considering when buying a graphics card, especially when the best solution would still be to buy a dedicated card for it, just like in the Ageia days. Even nVidia knows this, which is why they try to lock people out with their dfrivers, because they know their graphics hardware isn't compelling enough without trying to force people into it. :lol:

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Ok guys the HD 5000 series finnaly stocked up down in australia, so the choice will be soon. Why is it that my old gtx 285 is only 20 dollars cheaper and its more expensive when i first got mine (about 5 months ago). Personally im not a fanboy for anyone, i just go for what shows good potential, in this way nvidia will not get anything from me, unless there new series will be in the same price range as ati (ie. affordable). look at there old cards now (285,295) there still extremely dear. id expect less. So for now ATi have shown great longevity, performance and at a resonable price.

if i need the extra performance i could just crossfire it (be cheaper later on).

jennyh

Splendid
Well tbh...the gtx285 cost more to make and if Nvidia were still making them they would still cost more to make.

ATI have been in total control of the graphics market for well over a year now, even though that hasn't played out in terms of market share. Nvidia are basically clinging on to their market share on reputation alone...but they are also losing money while trying to cling on to it.

If it wasn't for Tegra Nvidia would have gone belly up months ago.

In terms of desktop/laptop gpu's? ATI are so far ahead it's not funny anymore. There simply is not a single Nvidia graphics card worth buying unless you cannot get the equivalent ATI due to stock shortages.

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

I wouldnt say it was well over a year. Obviously the last couple of months it has been ati all the way, but since before then I'd say it was pretty even.

And for the laptops I always thought nvidia was dominating that part of graphics. I always thought that the had better cards for the laptop, heck I havent even heard of a high end ati laptop graphic card. Obviously nvidia has the 9800m, gtx260m, gtx280m, but I dont know a single ati card (except the mobility 4850?), even if ati is dominating that sector it doesnt seem they are doing a good job making their presence known in the mobility sector.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

I have seen laptops with 4870x2s in them.

I agree about it being even at the upper level, but even there ATi has been driving the market and the pricing, even if they haven't benefited from that control. However...

ATi dominated, and really dominated the Graphics market before, but it was after the X1K series that nV got ahead, and then ATi struggled to get some of their parts out, however recently ATI has taken over the volume lead, and the top spot would be taken by the HD4870X2 like found on the ASUS W90.

I will agree with you that they do a pi$$ poor job of marketing pretty much anything they do well, but really it shouldn't matter when giving advice whether their PR is effective or not in promotion, just whether or not their product does the job, which it does for now, although I wish they would get off their but and bring out the HD5K series laptops so I can spend some Xmas bonus cash on a nice corei7 DR for my next laptop. :sol: