Question about booting two different Windows' from two different drives...

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

I am putting together a PC for video editing. I understand that it is best, to keep the OS drive as "clean" as possible, and only install the programs that are really necessary! Since I bought a Pizza a couple of years ago, using 10,000 Bitcoins, I can now only afford ONE PC! I would hate to "waste" my new PC on editing alone!

Having said that, what is the best way to use the PC as two "different" systems AND keep the drive, with the OS on it, clean?! My initial idea was, to have two different drives and swap out the one you want to use?! Sounds like a pain though, since the PC has to be shut down! What about installing two Windows's and deciding when booting up?! Will this "pollute" the drive?!

I hope you guys are getting my point and have some really cool solution for me! :D

Thanks,

G

p.s. not sure if this belongs here or in the "Systems" section?!

Solution
easiest is to install one windows with one of the drives only plugged, then plug them both on and switch between boot orders in bios.

or if you install second windows on another partition, that one will know and display the choice menu on load.
easiest is to install one windows with one of the drives only plugged, then plug them both on and switch between boot orders in bios.

or if you install second windows on another partition, that one will know and display the choice menu on load.

Solution

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Interesting! Why didn't I come up with that, ha ha!? So I could install Windows on two separate drives, and then decide on boot, which one to use , correct!? That would actually work out great, since my system has two drives for the OS.... in RAID 1, for redundancy. However, doing it this way, I wouldn't need the redundancy anymore. After all, I would have two Windows' anyway!

Thanks,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

I got it. The good thing is, that all my PC's drives are in bays and I can take them out at any time...

thanks,

G