Question about bootup.

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I was wondering what would happen if a CPU was fried.

This is what I mean:

If I was going to load Windows on a system I just built normally i'd turn it on, wait for it to say something like, "Boot Disk Error, Insert Boot Disc and Press Enter."

At that point i'd throw in the Window XP CD and press enter.

Well, if the CPU was fried, would it get that far? I don't think so, but I just want to be sure.

The reason I ask is that my system keeps hanging after I enter the disc and press "Enter". It stays on a black DOS screen with a blinking cursor and goes no further.

Any ideas?

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
I had a problem similar to this, but happened after I'd had the system for a while (seocnd hand to start with) and have everything installed. Turned out to be a bad patch in the memory. As soon as tried to write to memory, crashed.

Come to think of it though, system shouldn't be using RAM at that point. Probably a faulty BIOS. flash it, if that fails, replace motherboard. Than try memory thing.

CPU is probably last thing I would check.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Always progress you build to narrow down the issue. First make sure your fornt pannel is connected to the board correctly so you can hear the post beeps. If you had a fried cpu or a ram issues, a beeping code could be a tell.

Next strip out the board to just video, one stick of tested ram and the cpu, no floppy of cdrom or any other pci devices. Get to past Post and your on your way.

Next pop into the bios, make sure your defaults point to the proper boot first: hdd fist.

Reboot, if you get past post with no problems other than a missing OS your almost home.

Then direct the bios to first boot: cd second: HDD.

Your should get right into the setup with your windows cd. (unless you have a copy thats missing boot files)

If you cannot get to anyone of these steps take the above advice and flash the bios, then start over. CPU is probably good beucase your getting to post.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
A system will not pass POST with a fried CPU. To the best of my knowledge if you can get into the BIOS, your CPU is still alive and kicking. If you can't get into the BIOS, reset your board's settings using a jumper and try to get in with default settings.

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Always progress you build to narrow down the issue. First make sure your fornt pannel is connected to the board correctly so you can hear the post beeps. If you had a fried cpu or a ram issues, a beeping code could be a tell.

Connected Correctly. Check.

Next strip out the board to just video, one stick of tested ram and the cpu, no floppy of cdrom or any other pci devices. Get to past Post and your on your way.

Did this before, and it was good.

Next pop into the bios, make sure your defaults point to the proper boot first: hdd fist.

Ok.

Reboot, if you get past post with no problems other than a missing OS your almost home.

Then direct the bios to first boot: cd second: HDD.

Did this and instead of getting into Windows setup it just hangs.

Your should get right into the setup with your windows cd. (unless you have a copy thats missing boot files)

If you cannot get to anyone of these steps take the above advice and flash the bios, then start over. CPU is probably good beucase your getting to post.

I have an XP Pro CD that I just bought, so it should work fine. How do I flash the bios if the computer isn't reading anything?

Opteron 165 Denmark Socket 939 Dual Core
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANS
RoseWill RP500-2 500W
BenQ FP91G+ Black 19" 8ms LCD
CORSAIR XMS 1GB
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA II
NEC Black 3550A
ASUS Geforce 7800GT 256MB
XP Pro
ZALMAN 92mm Cooling Fan w/ Heatsink
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8
Logitech Media Wired Standard Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Another control is to attach an IDE drive to the the board (dissconnect the SATAII) and see what you get from there.
Also did you load setup defaults like suggested?

Flashing: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe

First find the make and model number of your mobo. Then go to the makers website and do a dirvebios search. D|L the the bios to the (formated) floppy. Sometimes you be given a compressed file, in that case just unpack it to the floppy.

The site should come with flash program. So make a bootdisk (boodisk.com) and follow the instructions for flashing (usally found where you D|L'ed the file. )

It's rather simple, but very volital. So be careful to watch for staic or power failures.

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I got it to load, here's what I did:

I noticed in BIOS that only one of the CD-ROM drives were being recognized. So I unplugged the one that wasn't being recognized and restarted it. Voila, it works.

I'm not sure if there's a jumper set wrong (they're both set to cable select, i'll try and set that one to slave) or if it's a bad CD-ROM or what ... But that seems to have been the problem.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Well good, thats too nice of a rig to let go! Thats what I ment by only have the nessecary devices attatched, you'll save a ton on asprin!

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, I've had the computer for about two weeks and have been having problems. The biggest was a MoBo that came with some serious issues (the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium has some major compatability issues) and a modular PSU (I don't like modular PSU's ... Sure, it's handy being able to only plug in what you need, but the Amps are fairly low).

After I finally got my new Mobo and PSU, everything seems to be ok. Just one that one little CD-ROM hiccup.

Thanks, all. :)

Also, how long does it normally take Windows to format a drive for the first time? Quite a while i'd imagine, yes?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Ohh yeah, you may want to go out for some fresh air while your doing that! 250gigs takes a while, (unless is scsi then its wicked fast!)

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I would have to agree with rodney_ws on this one. I have recently ventured into the overclocking world and have had this similar problem occur when i set the clock speed too high. (i know you said nothing of overclocking but its just my example) In order for me to get past the post, i had move a jumper on my motherboard to reset my bios. So i would give this a try first.