Question about building a new pc

banthracis

Distinguished
Piecemeal buying is a bad idea. If you get a bad part you won't find out till RMA period is over, and then you get to deal with company directly instead.

Better off just saving your money up until you have enough for a new build

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
must agree ... you want to find any bad parts within the first 30 days ... Save up and buy all at once.

that said ... just to answer your question ... yes ... the 955 is just one step below the leading edge (thuban) and the AM3 socket, is AMD's most modern, thus far.

if you did acquire that proc, and stiuck it in your closet ... you would have no trouble finding a mobo within 24 months.

= Al =

I disagree with the previous posters on this issue.

I have build a computers piecemeal before. Though it wasn't planned out. Half of my current machine was purchased up to 3 years before I assembled it. Parts meant for a long ago build that were never used, an upgrade that I was too lazy to install intended for my last system, a few items that I purchased just because the value was too good to ignore and I knew I would find a use for them. It works out just fine if you do it right.

The trick though is to be persistant, patient and find the insane value lying around somewhere. For example, I found a $100 DFI MB for $50 one time. On another occasion, I found a $120 Gigabyte board for $70, a $75 PSU on sale for $40, a $60 case for $30. Stuff like that. That's the advantage of buying over time. You get so see the ebbs and flows of pricing and take advantage of it. And you have lots of time to research parts because there is no timetable.

I will say this, you really need to enjoy doing this stuff for it to really work. I can research and part shop for months on end and to me its loads of enjoyment. If your that type, you can do this. If not, maybe you will want to do it all at once.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Sounds like fun but, with an 18 month product cycle (per major platform), i'd recommend the compute core be purchased, all at once.

As long as YOUR full system build is NOT complete, well within 18 months, you are flat out losing cash. Sometimes things go on sale because something ain't right, with them ... best to test ... quickly.

RAM will be going up ... 'till at least next April 1st ... you might want to risk a "good deal" on a blind RAM pre-purchase.

The economics are really quite simple ... A computer completely depreciates to ZERO, well within 5 years. I'm not making this up ... this is Corporate Tax Stuff ... I think they will allow 100% over three (four?) years. This makes the PC one of the fastest depreciating "investments" that one can buy. The trick is to (1) wait until you really NEED it (2) buy just what you will need (performance) during the depreciation cycle and (3) USE THE buh-JEEZ-us out of it (while you can).

Having "parts" just sitting around is like having factory workers just sitting around ... you are paying for them ... they are rapidly (very) becoming obsolete ... and they are doing nothing for you or for your "value add". ... In a word? .. "WASTEFULL!".

I mean ... there is ALWAYS a "counter argument" or an "alternative philosophy" to any stance ... This is clear cut, tho ... I have won this debate (where sanity may rule).

We are obligated, by the rules of this forum, to give our best advice (or at least not to give bad advice, intentionally) ... Gonna have to recommend you disregard the last poster.

BUT ... Here in Austin ... GoodWill Industries has this enormous PC parts reclaimation center and you can get a fist-full of older ram for nothing ... they have crates of old cpu coolers (stock, mostly) and all the rest so ... if you want to "collect", then cobble OLDER USED PARTS into Linux Servers and all sorts of home-control type builds.

As a forum, we do want you to have fun ... but we do insist upon not helping you to waste money (unless that is your stated goal).

Guys? ... Remember that $5k Gaming Build with the upward-flexible budget ?

... that was a crazy thread.

= Al =

welshmousepk

Distinguished
alvin is absolutely correct, unless you are finding an amazing deal on every part, by the time your build is finished your parts will be worth less. saving up and buying it all at once will be a much cheaper way to go, plus you will have more choice on the parts that are released in the interim.

Yes and no. Motherboard, CPU, yes. Cases,RAM ,PSU, DVD drives, not so much. Like I said, it helps to know what your doing.

But take ram as an example. I realized last summer that RAM prices were as low as they would be for a while and I purchased an 4 GB set that I wasn't quite ready to use, but expected to soon. Use in a month turned into lying in a corner for a year. Into a my new build it went. Today that $40 RAM goes for $100 I actually saved $60. Not a plan, but it worked.

RAM will be going up ... 'till at least next April 1st ... you might want to risk a "good deal" on a blind RAM pre-purchase.

I wouldn't buy RAM right now unless you had immediate use for it.

The economics are really quite simple ... A computer completely depreciates to ZERO, well within 5 years.....

Your lumping all components into one category, but not every component depreciates that quickly. That system I just built, all components used except the motherboard, cpu were available 3 1/2 years ago at the same price. Zero depreciation in 3 1/2 years. Cuts into your argument a bit.

I mean ... there is ALWAYS a "counter argument" or an "alternative philosophy" to any stance ... This is clear cut, tho ... I have won this debate (where sanity may rule).

We are obligated, by the rules of this forum, to give our best advice (or at least not to give bad advice, intentionally) ... Gonna have to recommend you disregard the last poster.

You won this debate? Anybody who disagrees with your conclusion is insane? Maybe some people are just smarter than you are Alvin Smith.

Like I said, I don't really plan it. But I have had parts sit around for 3+ years and always came out ahead and usually way ahead. It is a solid proof of concept that a skilled person could build a system over time and save a lot of money doing it.

Of course, you have to be really good to make it work. I guess Alvin Smith is not.

No its not. I would have paid more buying all at once than I did with my semi-lazy buy and forget to use policy. Once again, it was not planned, but I do know what I am doing when it comes to part selection and those selections stood the test of time.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I don't really thing there as such a thing as parts that stand the test of time. all parts depreciate quickly, there is no way around it. within 6 months Every single part currently on the market (thats not more than a year old already) will be worth significantly less.

these things may seem like a good deal at the time, but six months later they can probably be had for less anyway. or there will be something better available in the same price bracket.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
FALCON,

You joined April 10 and you are already a VETERAN ??? !!! Dang ! ... LoL ...

And YOU are pickin a losing battle with ME ??? Yoiu are just making a total arse out of yourself! ... VET in six weeks !!! LoL !!!

That's FALCON <<<< ALL CAPS !!!

[:jaydeejohn:3] [:jaydeejohn:3] [:jaydeejohn:3]

[:boudy:1] [:bilbat:7] [:bilbat:3] [:bilbat:5]

You declared yourself winner of the debate after one post! And it wasn't that good a post. Then you accused anyone who disagreed with you of being insane, and now this.

Presumptuous, pompous, and arrogant don't even begin to cover it. You just go on telling yourself how great you are.

It just depends on the part. MB and CPU are buy and use immediately wit a few exceptions. But not everything. I will give you a few specific examples off the top of my head.

The cooler master centurion 534. A great case. Same price since 2006.

Corsair VX450. First sold in 2007, its still considered a top PSU at its price/performance level. Again, same price today. In fact, this is true of a number of corsair models.

Artic Freezer 64/7. More than 5 years old, its one of the best Coolers in its price range.

And do I really need to remind people how much RAM prices have gone up in the last year?

If you found any of these guys at a fantastic price at any point over the last 3 years, as I did with the centurion once ($25 out the door) you could buy and rest easy. And there are lots of parts like this. You just have to know the difference.

Look, the OP asked if it could be done and it clearly can. It can blow up in your face VERY easily if you don't know what your doing, but it can be done. And if your on a budget, you could save a few pesos by building over a period of a few months instead of doing all at once.

I will not recommend it. But it is a viable option.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Oh ... why did I not see the real truth any sooner ?!

Clearly ... it is *I* who is crazy and just TROLLING for flames !!!

... Like I said before ... one can argue ANY stance (however ineffectively) but, just because FALCON can come up with 3 "UNICORN" orphan values in a vast sea of obsolescence, ... THAT will NOT change Moore's Law or the "Reality Based" corporate actuarials and it will not change the FACT that FALCON's advice, on this thread, is flat out wrong and plain BAD ADVICE. The "rules" clearly outweigh the rare exceptions and common sense outweighs misguided and wishful fantasy.

If the OP gives ANY credence to your "so called wisdom", then you deserve each other !

If I waste one more moment on this ridiculous thread, it is *I* who's sanity will be in question.

Take a poll of senior techs (that means techs who are actually industry pros). Later, brainiacs!

= Al =

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I have a question guys. I am currently planning on building a pc myself and I am planning to buy the mobo, cpu and ram sometime this week (before the rebates expire), but probably won't have all of the parts and have it built till the beginning of August. Is that a bad idea?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Don't buy mobo/cpu/ram if you don't have at least a PSU & some way of getting video to make sure that it posts. Those 3 pieces are the most annoying to RMA. (But better to RMA them than have to deal with returning them to the manufacturer.)

Well, this was a rather cordial exchange of ideas and opinions until you started calling anyone who disagreed with you insane and arbitrarily declaring yourself supreme master of all knowledge and accusing me of anything and everything.

I personal favorite was when you said, "And YOU are pickin a losing battle with ME ???" as though your the preeminent computer mind in the forum and your proclamations are beyond question.

... Like I said before ... one can argue ANY stance (however ineffectively) but, just because FALCON can come up with 3 "UNICORN" orphan values in a vast sea of obsolescence,

I actually listed 4. And distinctly different components to prove a point. There are dozens of more examples. I simply selected 3 specific ones.

What does it say about you that I have to spoon feed them to you and yet I could name dozens?
THAT will NOT change Moore's Law or the "Reality Based" corporate actuarials and it will not change the FACT that FALCON's advice, on this thread, is flat out wrong and plain BAD ADVICE. The "rules" clearly outweigh the rare exceptions and common sense outweighs misguided and wishful fantasy.

Now you declare "rules" that everyone must abide by.

I will give you a hint. Moors law applies to INTEGRATED CIRCUITS! IE motherboards, memory and CPU. The very components I said you exercise caution with. It has never applied directly to PSU's, cases, fans, etc.

And no, the exceptions are not rare in non IC categories.

Take a poll of senior techs (that means techs who are actually industry pros). Later, brainiacs!

I don't need to take a poll. I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF! This is not guesswork or some theory. It has been done and it does work! Im sorry, but thats the way it is!!

Coldsleeps advice is sound.

There are some exceptions. My current MB is a $130 gigabyte board that I was already lusting after and by chance I stumbled across it for $60 somehow. I jumped all over it even though I wasn't going to build the system for 2 months. But that sort of insane deal is rare.