[SOLVED] Question About Building Netgear Mesh System

ZachMan1030

Commendable
May 14, 2017
I was considering trying to build a mesh WiFi system using a Netgear RAX200 with an EAX80. Would this greatly hinder the performance of the router compared to it running independently? If so, what are some other options for a high-performance WiFi 6 mesh system?

Solution
Many times a weak signal from the main router will still be faster than a strong signal from a repeater. It all depends on how much interference you have.

The best option is to use a ethernet cable with a AP in the remote room. If you do not have ethernet using powerline and hooking that to a AP or buying the powerline with a radio in the remote end is the next best. You can also consider moca if you have coax tv cables.

If none of those is a option and you get no coverage in some areas you can consider the mesh/repeater systems. It takes very careful placement of the repeater unit so it can get very strong signal from the main router yet still provide signal to the remote rooms.

I have never really looked at 802.11ax...
Many times a weak signal from the main router will still be faster than a strong signal from a repeater. It all depends on how much interference you have.

The best option is to use a ethernet cable with a AP in the remote room. If you do not have ethernet using powerline and hooking that to a AP or buying the powerline with a radio in the remote end is the next best. You can also consider moca if you have coax tv cables.

If none of those is a option and you get no coverage in some areas you can consider the mesh/repeater systems. It takes very careful placement of the repeater unit so it can get very strong signal from the main router yet still provide signal to the remote rooms.

I have never really looked at 802.11ax stuff being used as a repeater. it uses 160mhz of bandwidth which pretty much means you can not put 2 signals in without overlap. If it uses the 2.4g to link back to the main router you are now pretty much using 802.11n to talk and will limit your overall bandwidth.

Then again I guess it is better than no signal at all in the remote rooms.

Solution

ZachMan1030

Commendable
May 14, 2017

I have never really looked at 802.11ax stuff being used as a repeater. it uses 160mhz of bandwidth which pretty much means you can not put 2 signals in without overlap. If it uses the 2.4g to link back to the main router you are now pretty much using 802.11n to talk and will limit your overall bandwidth.

Then again I guess it is better than no signal at all in the remote rooms.
Ok