[SOLVED] question about buying RAM

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
I have 4x4gb sticks of ram for 16 gb in all. One of the sticks is not functional anymore. When looking online to replace it, there is a 2x4gb pack and i can just keep the spare, but theres a 1x8gb stick of the same ram i use which is cheaper. can i use that 8gb stick along with the other 3 4gb sticks already in my pc? That would make 20gb of ram instead of 16. or does it need to be a 4gb stick like the others? thank you

Solution
what i would do is run memtest86 on each of your ram stick that is broken and see if it causes any errors. It creates a bootable USB. boot off it and check ram stick.

If the stick is bad, Gskill will likely accept a fail on memtest as a good enough reason to RMA the ram set.

I would send both sticks back and get new ones for free. No need to mess with an 8gb stick then. running 2 non identical sticks together can lead to problems.

You might only have 8gb for a while but its sure cheaper

kanewolf

Titan
I have 4x4gb sticks of ram for 16 gb in all. One of the sticks is not functional anymore. When looking online to replace it, there is a 2x4gb pack and i can just keep the spare, but theres a 1x8gb stick of the same ram i use which is cheaper. can i use that 8gb stick along with the other 3 4gb sticks already in my pc? That would make 20gb of ram instead of 16. or does it need to be a 4gb stick like the others? thank you
Is this DDR3 or DDR4 ?? What motherboard are we talking about ?

Reactions: SamirD

Colif

Win 11 Master
are the 4 x 4gb sticks all part of a set? Did they all get sold together?
If yes, then replacing that other stick becomes complicated. Sticks sold in sets are tested to make sure they work together, trying to add a non tested 4th stick into mix can cause errors and make PC act weird.

It can get expensive to replace a 4th stick like that. You might need to buy all new ram just to make it work again.

With ddr3, you might get away with the 8gb module in the mix. But ideally you can just get a replacement 4gb module of the same specs.

Keep in mind that most memory has a lifetime warranty so you can take advantage of that and get an exact replacement for free.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only time i didn't have to return an item from rma was when Razer had me show I had cut the power cable off one of their Keyboards by taking a photo of it. Basically destroying it.

Would be nice if you could send ram back 1 stick at a time and still use PC but its never that easy :)

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Is this DDR3 or DDR4 ?? What motherboard are we talking about ?
ddr4. i had 2 packs of these https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820231886
and one stick has been defective for awhile now, but now i want to fill the spot because i no longer have 16gb. So if i got an 8gb stick instead of a 4gb stick, would it still work fine or should i just get a 4gb stick.
mobo is asus b250m-a pro its working fine right now with only 12 gb of ram, but i want atleast 16gb, but if i got an 8gb stick id have 20 gb... so im not sure if thats a better thing to buy because its cheaper and more memory than a 4gb stick... all have same speeds and are same model etc

Colif

Win 11 Master
what i would do is run memtest86 on each of your ram stick that is broken and see if it causes any errors. It creates a bootable USB. boot off it and check ram stick.

If the stick is bad, Gskill will likely accept a fail on memtest as a good enough reason to RMA the ram set.

I would send both sticks back and get new ones for free. No need to mess with an 8gb stick then. running 2 non identical sticks together can lead to problems.

You might only have 8gb for a while but its sure cheaper

Solution