Question Question about case fans

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2720853

I'm buying a be quiet! Pure Base 500DX case to replace my crappy HP Pavilion pre-built case that has plagued my existence, prompting me to buy this case and "build" my first PC. I was having some doubts about the cooling. The fans that come with it are three Non-PWM 1000rpm 140mm fans, one on the top, rear and front. I was originally planning to move the top fan as an intake to the front to have two as intakes, and use the rear one as an exhaust.

Now I'm planning to also buy two 140mm High Speed (1600 rpm) PWM fans to replace my front fans, and I want to keep the exhaust 140mm always running at 1000rpm. Is it enough to take out the hot air and ensure good airflow or should I get a high speed PWM exhaust as well? My specs on the current pre-built are i7-8700 & ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini. I'm planning on buying an Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, and as for the CPU cooler, I'm planning to buy a Thermaltake UX200 ARGB, in case you want to know what kind of heat I'll be dealing with. I'm on a budget with a little extra spent on motherboard.

Should I also place one of the built-in fans on the top as an additional exhaust running at 1000rpm?

Or am I being entirely stupid, and two 140mm 1000rpm intakes & one 140mm 1000rpm exhaust are enough?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My specs on the current pre-built are i7-8700 & ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini. I'm planning on buying an Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, and as for the CPU cooler, I'm planning to buy a Thermaltake UX200 ARGB, in case you want to know what kind of heat I'll be dealing with.
That cpu can't be overclocked anyway, thus not much point in replacing the motherboard. If the mobo isn't broke, don't 'fix' it.

The i7-8700 can be pushed to draw up to 130w of power: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html
The Thermaltake UX200 ARGB is barely adequate, as it's designed for 130w of waste heat - that means there's little thermal headroom during all core loads.

1)Ditch the mobo idea
2)Look into a stronger cooler option, like the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or a CM Hyper 212
3)You could do 3x front intake with the stock fans and use the 2 new ones for rear and top exhaust, or...
You could do rear and top exhaust with 2 of the stock fans and use the 2 new ones for front intake.

D

Deleted member 2720853

That cpu can't be overclocked anyway, thus not much point in replacing the motherboard. If the mobo isn't broke, don't 'fix' it.

The i7-8700 can be pushed to draw up to 130w of power: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html
The Thermaltake UX200 ARGB is barely adequate, as it's designed for 130w of waste heat - that means there's little thermal headroom during all core loads.

1)Ditch the mobo idea
2)Look into a stronger cooler option, like the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or a CM Hyper 212
3)You could do 3x front intake with the stock fans and use the 2 new ones for rear and top exhaust, or...
You could do rear and top exhaust with 2 of the stock fans and use the 2 new ones for front intake.

I never saw my CPU go past its designed TDP even under load, and I'm not planning to push it. I'm pretty sure I do have to get a new motherboard considering my pre-built HP Tampa2 is a piece of trash with no upgradeability. I can't use the 3 stock fans on the front since the case only supports two 140mm on the front. I'll get a stronger cooler when I even have the PSU to support a better cpu. It's not a i7-8700K.

Anyway, I already got my answers on this somewhere else by the time I got a reply here. I'll go with my original plan. Anything is better than this pre-built oven with 0 fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If your motherboard has extra PCIE slots, you could just buy a card with the extra fan headers you need...

There isn't much of an upgrade path for you with Z390, save the 9900K, but that's going to require liquid cooling.

Well, good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.