[SOLVED] Question about changing the motherboard on an old Acer s3-391

Dec 2, 2020
Hey folks, i recently got an gifted an old Acer s3-391, and started to clean it etc. Decided to change the old fan as it was making some noise, but looking at the fans i noticed i can change the motherboard with a better one, can any one tell me what is the best motherboard for this laptop as i see a lot of variety and i am not sure if the others will work properly. The laptop is with i3-3227U and 4GB of ram. I noticed there is i7 as well like this one on ali express this one but i noticed there are like 10+ different motherboards. Can some one with more knowlage guide me towards the best one for this laptop that will work ?
I also saw that you can upgrade the ram to 10GB (theoretically, does one one know if that is the case?). Some one mentioned 2GB is soldered and there is one more slot for additional 8GB max ram.

Solution
Not really worth it if you ask me, but any motherboard specified for that chassis is more or less going to work. Late model celeron will do a better job.

Only concern would be potentially upgraded cooling in the higher end models, so go for one that includes the heatsinks/fan.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really worth it if you ask me, but any motherboard specified for that chassis is more or less going to work. Late model celeron will do a better job.

Only concern would be potentially upgraded cooling in the higher end models, so go for one that includes the heatsinks/fan.

Solution
Dec 2, 2020

Cheers. The idea is not much of a performance boost but to teach my brother how things work, gift him a laptop and MAYBE let the laptop last for another year or two with a slight boost in performance :)
The motherboard was an example, i think i saw gen 3 i7 there in the mix, might as well go for that if i find it again, the big question was if its comparable.

Why do you think thermals will be a problem ? The current motherboard has ~45C average idle temp on the cpu, and about ~55C avarage with a light/mid load of a browser + code editor. Although i changed the paste and cleaned everything including the fan few days ago.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
While Intel might rate the TDP of CPUs to be identical, in practice, more cores and higher clock speeds mean higher power consumption. So less battery life and greater heat are to be expected with a faster CPU.

3rd gen CPU will actually be more efficient though, but they will have balanced that with increased clock speeds.

Dec 2, 2020
While Intel might rate the TDP of CPUs to be identical, in practice, more cores and higher clock speeds mean higher power consumption. So less battery life and greater heat are to be expected with a faster CPU.

3rd gen CPU will actually be more efficient though, but they will have balanced that with increased clock speeds.

Mine is a 3d gen i3. I was thinking if i can get i7 3d gen might not be that big of a difference on the heat/battery in general compared to the pump in performance ? I mean in my head it will be better performance on similar heat/battery consumption ? (not the same but similar, not that high in terms of battery consumption and heat i guess)