[SOLVED] Question about chassis + PSU

Jul 28, 2020
I currently have a CSE-846E16-R1200B (with a LSI 9211-4i & BPN-SAS2-846EL1)

I was considering dropping a 3900x build into it, but noticed that that I might not be able to fit a full modular power supply into it. Does anyone have this case, and were you able to fit a full size PSU into it? (Example: Corsair HX850) or should I just use the built in power supply (2x1200w) that came with the case?

Full build for my UNRAID Daily
  1. Processor: 3900x
  2. RAM; 64GB 3600mhz
  3. Power: Corsair HX850 // 2x1200w Gold+
  4. Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E
  5. GPU: 1080Ti
  6. Controller: LSI 9211-4i HBA JBOD FREENAS UNRAID
  7. Backpane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24-port
  8. Case: CSE-846E16-R1200B

Solution
There are RARELY single 8 pin connectors on power supplies. USUALLY, they will come with a 6+2 connector that can be used as both 8 pin or 6 pin, and then the EPS connectors for the 12v CPU auxiliary power is actually a 4+4 pin connector that splits in half.

Are you referring to PCIe power or CPU power?

Additionally, can you get the model number off either or both of those power supplies, assuming they are the same then just one number will do.
Since the motherboard compatibility for that unit is E-ATX and ATX, I'd assume that it supports ATX power supplies in which case it doesn't matter at all whether they are modular, semi-modular or not modular at all. Also, it supports redundant power supplies, so from I'm seeing you'd want two of them, although I imagine if it's not a mission critical system you could get by fine with just one like in any other system.

Jul 28, 2020
Since the motherboard compatibility for that unit is E-ATX and ATX, I'd assume that it supports ATX power supplies in which case it doesn't matter at all whether they are modular, semi-modular or not modular at all. Also, it supports redundant power supplies, so from I'm seeing you'd want two of them, although I imagine if it's not a mission critical system you could get by fine with just one like in any other system.

With the case having 2x1200 power supplies, do you think it would be efficient/logical to just use them? Have one power supply donate an 8-pin, and otherwise just be used as redundancy, or should I just rip the entire PSU shroud out and throw an ATX supply in?

Edit: Looking at the nest of wires stemming from the shroud, I'm not seeing a single 8-pin connector.

Last edited:
There are RARELY single 8 pin connectors on power supplies. USUALLY, they will come with a 6+2 connector that can be used as both 8 pin or 6 pin, and then the EPS connectors for the 12v CPU auxiliary power is actually a 4+4 pin connector that splits in half.

Are you referring to PCIe power or CPU power?

Additionally, can you get the model number off either or both of those power supplies, assuming they are the same then just one number will do.

Solution