[SOLVED] Question about cloning a hard drive that has Windows XP.

Jan 14, 2022
I have an old computer that has Windows XP installed on a HDD, and I planned on trying to clone it to a SSD using Macrium Reflect 7. I was wondering though if i upgraded the SSD to windows 7(or 10) after the cloning, if I could at a later date, replace the SSD and reinstall the old HDD again that has Windows XP, and use that OS again?
Old PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3300+
GPU: Integrated graphics
RAM: DDR2 2gb(1gb x2)
HDD: 200gb

Thanks!

Solution
The HDD will not be changed in any way so it will be usable in every way it was before.
The only thing to worry about is the boot order which might change.
I was wondering though if i upgraded the SSD to windows 7(or 10) after the cloning, if I could at a later date, replace the SSD and reinstall the old HDD again that has Windows XP, and use that OS again?
Windows xp can not be upgraded to windows 7 directly. Only clean install is available.
But you could upgrade windows xp to windows vista. Then you can upgrade from vista to windows 7.

Reactions: JessetheNurse
Normally I would suggest a clean install of Windows 10 anyway, in order to convert from 32-bit to 64-bit.

However the only A64 3300+ I am aware of is socket 754 and only OEM in HP and IBM systems, which accepted DDR1, not DDR2. On the bright side these usually had SATA150 ports.

If that is the processor you have, then it does not support 64-bit Windows 8.1 or later as it lacks CMPXCHG16b. 32-bit Windows 10 "works" fine but would be very unpleasant at 2GB and single-core.

Reactions: JessetheNurse

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
I attempted to clone my disk and then put that disk in another computer. It detected
a hardware change and asked to be re activated. No way to activate since Windows XP is not there through Internet Explorer.
3 days to activate before we are blocked from logging on to the opening screen.

DSzymborski

Titan
I attempted to clone my disk and then put that disk in another computer. It detected
a hardware change and asked to be re activated. No way to activate since Windows XP is not there through Internet Explorer.
3 days to activate before we are blocked from logging on to the opening screen.

[Redacted by moderator]

Start your own thread. Do not jump into other people's threads to request help on a similar issue that you're having. Just because there's another patient in the doctor's office waiting room with a similar cough doesn't mean that you tag along when the other person is called back to an examination room.

Also, some of the post had to be removed. Company policy is no advice on circumventing licensing, and there are no exceptions for any reason.