Question Question About Computer Random Crashes and installed cooling. maybe cooling problem

Jul 7, 2019
I have a new computer.
But the computer crashes randomly, shuts down and restarts up.
it only happens whenever i render 3d frames.
it renders like plus minus 10 a 15 frames. then crashes and restarts
when i do computer tasks that are not proccesor intenstive the computer works.
doesnt crash.

the system is a
intel 99000k not overclocked standard clockrate 3.6 GHZ.
motherboard gigabyte b36M max 64GB
32 GB DDR4
Videokaart: NVIDIA GeForce GT710 2GB 1xVGA, 1xDVI,1xHDMI
power supply cooler master 600 watt 230 watt
solid state disk

Now i noticed the front cooling stays idle, i asked my reseller
and he said it only turns on when its needed.
So i installed some utilities and saw the temperature when rendering
about 86 deg, so increased the max settings in utils on the fans.
i have disbled the nvidea card, and rendered without one in vga mode but it still has the problem.

but the front cooling stays idle, so i openend the case and i saw a few cables from the front fan
the black ones where all connected too the motherboard, only the red-yellow cables where
still tied as new. so not connected.

so does anyone knows if
a the red-yellow cables should be also be connected too the motherboard
b could that be the reason for the crashes, or is the 600 watt not enough for this system.

i have pictures,

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
So you are creating 3D rendering. From the pictures the fans are not connected to the mobo or you may need to use molar power cable with a fan adaptors to power them. There should be two fan power headers on the motherboard one front and one back and should be labeled fan. This mobo looks to be a ITX it may not have enough fan headers to power the fans. I can not see anymore in the cpu picture.

The render issue think part of it the vram is to low. Along with a cooling issue, when you render you will use all the cores the cpu has thats the heat. Think a GPU with 6 to 8 GB would be much better.

Jul 7, 2019
Hi Thanks for your reply.

the motherboard gigabyte b36M max 64GB. i render only on the CPU. i also thought maybe its the power supply
"" coolermaster 600 watt""
230V or it the cpu and gpu
so i guessed that both might generate too much heat, or drain too much power on the system.
so i have disabled my GPU which is a
NVIDIA GeForce GT710 2GB 1xVGA, 1xDVI,1xHDMI, and then rendered in vga mode
but still has the random crash after render a few 10-15 frames.

there is one fan in the back, that is working, it does have yellow and red cables.
and on fan on the proccesor blue/black/yellow/green, and one in the front that is not working.
the black wires from that front fan are connected too the mother board, one of those black plugs
says power SW.?
the yellow and red cables that are comming out of the fan are not
connected too the motherboard. and are still neatly tied.

Still when looking from the utils software, i see a red dot on the left corner of the proccesor.
so there could be a problem with the proccesor itself? even when the front fan will work?
maybe not enough thermal paste on tht corner? or proccesor fan itself is not enough for cooling?
I have had a dell xps 720 with an intel quad core extreme, and that had a massive heatsink with a big fan on top.

here are some better pictures.

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
I looked up the motherboard which you supplied. motherboard gigabyte b36M. If this is a microATX than there should be a system_fan right above the front panel connections. If sgtSream is correct than you will need a better cpu cooler. Recheck the the front panel connecters think the names face out. The front fan still needs to be connected. In the second pic above the red connector with your finger on it is a fan connector in that picture its not connected to anything. Did you install the cpu?

Link to the mobo

Google search for your motherboard if you do not have the manual

Jul 7, 2019
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-H-rev-10#kf

• Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
the link says the motherboard supports 9th gen intel proccesors.

called the reseller
allthough the casing cooler master came equipped with a front fan, there was no connection for it on the motherboard
so thats why that power cable was hanging loose in the case, they couldnt plug it in the motherboard, since it didnt have more connections
for fans.

no i didnt installed the cpu, the reseller made the system

Jul 7, 2019
i have renderd with my old system.
intel i7 2600 4 cores 8 threads. no special standaard cooling

and this temperature came out the diagnostics.
its about 4 years old, and rendering sometimes more than 48 hours, max week continuously

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
There are many issues with this build.
  • it has a warning with the cpu.
  • front case fan not connected.
  • wrong type of cpu cooler.

I think that red dot indicates what fan is show on the software. Click on system 1 see if the dot changes. Creating a another fan power connector is not that hard. Below is what I use in a pinch I do not like powered sleeved fan connectors. The warning about the cpu 80 c is not ideal.

Fan power adapter

I am not one to recomend a cooler I build a i5 8500 so I would not have to.

Last edited:
The cpu cooler isn't wrong, as it most likely came with the processor. However it IS inadequate, as I know from experience purchasing a i7 4790(k)'s for builds. When you factor in the systems age and the fact that fan RPM speed can degrade over time, a $20-$30 cpu cooler would do wonders for that system without breaking the bank and is a good place to start in troubleshooting.

Jul 7, 2019
yes i use it mostly for 3d rendering and simulations, in the short time that i could use it.
if i compare the new i9k 3.4 GHZ 8 core 16 threads to the old intel i7 2600 4 cores 8 threads.

using the renderfarm software
while my old systeem was still rendering one frame on 1280*900, the new i9k did like 6 frames in the same time.
in the queue manager