Question about cooling

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Ok, so here's the deal. I currently have my build, and I have a H115i corsair CL water cooler.
It's working fine.
I don't care about money, process, or time to return/gain a new part.
I strictly want performance.

I want to flat out know which cooling system will turn me better cooling rates. I see way too many mixed opinions.

Will the NH-D15/D15S turn me better temps, or will a H115i turn me better temps.

Again, I have no problem returning the h115 and buying a NH-D15/D15S.

Solution
The argument in favor of the Noctua, and other large rifle coolers, comes down to price. A water cooler of similar performance costs significantly more and it only goes up from there. Effectively double the components and triple the points of failure.

The difference I see is rapid temperature climbs to load temps, but you could keep pushing the CPU without seeing higher temps longer. Whereas air coolers are almost linear by comparison. As you increase heat output they rev up and maintain but reach a saturation point. It takes a lot longer to reach saturation with a water cooler, even while you are seeing high load temps.

H100i is a different pump and cooling assembly entirely. Asetek re-tooled in the last few years and the second...

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
you get a lot of mixed opinions because a tower cooler vs a CL cooler is a matter of opinion. unless you find a review that compares both of them on the same exact system, you'll never know. they're both very solid thangs.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2 this should help solve your very serious problem. either way those two coolers are going to be within a few degrees of eachother at most which shouldnt make a difference. either way the H115i is going to cool the CPU to idle much faster than the noctua

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I think the two will have similar cooling performance.

If the money is not the problem (and you are confident to build your own water cooling system) and need the best possible cooling system your best option is a custom water cooling with a freezer for aquariums like the ones from hailea.
For example you have the smaller ones for a flow of 200-1000 L/h
http://www.hailea.com/e-hailea/product1/HC-130A.htm

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
280mm for just the CPU, a late model asetek built pump... Hard to do much better without going full custom and getting an even larger radiator. However CPU cooling is more limited by the interface between the cooler and CPU. Load temps are tricky to bring down.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
As far as a custom loop cooler, that would be a much more future investment. I would need to watch how-to videos and stockpile the components and tools to do so. I would also probably get the ASUS ROG Maximus board that has the water cooling channels, and get a water cooler attachment for the 1080 I have. Right now the CL coolers or air coolers are a better option. This is strictly for CPU cooling. I've even considered delidding because of the results it has shown between multiple sites reducing from 20c+ temp at load. I'm running 74-75c under stress test on CPUz. I understand that 75c is ok, but I want to throw some more OC on it and test it out. I want it to run at a lower temp. Lower temp is longer life. Lower temp I've also seen can help you get to lower voltage thresholds. I'm running 1.375 max (and adaptive voltage so it runs lower than that...stable)

I'm not shutting you down, but right now I need a premade component. I also have children (one is about a year), so anything that's outside the case is a no-go.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017

So you're saying the H115i can absorb more heat quicker. Yeah, I got what you mean, its marginal numbers. I just keep hearing "water cooling is better" and then "The noctua NH-D15 cools way better than any closed loop cooler out there"

Unfortunately it seems like the H115i is a relatively new product in the grand scheme of things, so a lot of reviews still show the H100 which I want to say is a different size and make-up.

I guess my ultimate option is to actually buy a NH-D15 and just do the comparison myself.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The argument in favor of the Noctua, and other large rifle coolers, comes down to price. A water cooler of similar performance costs significantly more and it only goes up from there. Effectively double the components and triple the points of failure.

The difference I see is rapid temperature climbs to load temps, but you could keep pushing the CPU without seeing higher temps longer. Whereas air coolers are almost linear by comparison. As you increase heat output they rev up and maintain but reach a saturation point. It takes a lot longer to reach saturation with a water cooler, even while you are seeing high load temps.

H100i is a different pump and cooling assembly entirely. Asetek re-tooled in the last few years and the second generation of Corsairs (GT, GTX, h115i at the least), and a lot of other companies as well, now use the newer pump and cooling assembly. And it is significantly better. It is what you will find inside of the 900 and 1000 series hybrid GPUs as well. EVGA, MSI, Corsair.

New: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/~/media/4F61277E32264C37B29889D08F662FE7.ashx?w=380
Old: http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/09/03/4405874/0_Asetek570LCPump.jpg

I had an older style Arctic branded asetek pump and they were kind of noisy. One of them broke, the plastic housing failed of all things, the motor assembly still worked. Looks like Corsair is using some other design for their low end ones like the h60 now.

Solution

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Ok, hey before I go any further I appreciate your time. Everyone. I know it's the same questions over and over, but again, it helps me significantly.

So, if price is without concern, I may be better of using CL coolers. (Obviously custom loop coolers are better) They seem to absorb and move heat better. I have a couple of ML 140's mounted on it so not only is it ridiculously quiet even at high RPM's, I honestly don't care about sound since I'm using a living room based setup (I sit over 15ft from my TV, and respectively the tower itself).

To caveat, I did the stress test for a short time, and it did ramp instantly to 74-75c (within a about 30 seconds to a minute), but it flatlined right away. I did notice it flittering between the two numbers but not really passing that. As far as pump temp, it stayed at 29c for the longest time, and slowly started to climb when I did an extended stress test. It got up to around 32 on the pump and started to flatline there too.

I do have a thing for CL as I used it in a very old build of mine, a much simpler 120 MM radiator CL corsair cooler. I don't even remember the model name, it was years ago.