Question About Corsair Dominator Series

Marhier

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm Marhier.
I've been using Tom's Hardware for some time now, but never had an account or posted before, so this is my first.

I'm just after a little advice; I'm currently upgrading my computer's motherboard, CPU and RAM and have just bought:

Asus Maximus V Extreme
i7 3770k processor

And I already have 2 x Asus GTX 580 Direct CUII

My issue is in regards to the ram.
I'm looking to get 8GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666, but I've just seen that there is 2800 model.

Now my budget for the RAM isn't an issue and am one of these people that wants the best, but not if I'm not going to get the performance.

I don't overclock, but will try to learn in the near future, but doubt I'm going to understand it fully for a while.
If I'm not overclocking my CPU, will I actually get the benefits of the 2800 over the 2666 out of the box.

If not, I will buy the 2666.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
You won't really see any benefits above 2133, and even then the benefits are so low I would say to save the money and get 1600 or at the most 1866.

Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Marhier

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
That's brilliant mate, thank you for your time.

I may go a little higher as I do plan on learning to overclock - but I see your point.

I'm trying to future proof myself really as I know it all goes out of date pretty damn quick these days.

Needed to upgrade my CPU because my Q6600 was bottlenecking my GPU's - wasn't getting the performance I should be from them.

Thanks again.
Regards
Marhier