Question Question about Corsair keyboards

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hi there. I currently use a K95 Platinum that I have been using for about 3 years. Prior to that I had a K70 that I used for about 2 years. The reason I mention both keyboards is that I have 2 questions.

Through 2 different systems over the course of 6 years, both systems containing different hardware/being a different generation and both using Windows 10. When I power PC up in the morning, although rare, sometimes the keyboard will have its lights on and is getting power, but will not type unless I unplug and replug it back in. I have tried different USB ports, tried both USB 2 and 3 though the issue still happens. I do keep the firmware of keyboards up to date but it does not seem to do anything. This issue happened recently this week and it seems to have brought another annoying issue that is also rare.

The second issue is that this also happens extremely rarely but now it has happened twice this week. When using Ctrl + v to paste something, whether it is in notepad, cmd, my browser etc. It seems using ctrl + v also activates the enter key. I have tried googling around and find nothing on this particular issue. The only thing that makes it stop is restarting my PC. Not even unplug and re-plug the keyboard works. It is quite strange and extremely annoying.

Does anyone know why these things happen and maybe, hopefully can shed some light on how to fix them? Ty

In my old PC I had an MSI motherboard. In my current PC I have a z390 aorus pro. Bios up to date, Windows 10 up to date. Drivers up to date.

Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I power PC up in the morning, although rare, sometimes the keyboard will have its lights on and is getting power, but will not type unless I unplug and replug it back in. I have tried different USB ports, tried both USB 2 and 3 though the issue still happens. I do keep the firmware of keyboards up to date but it does not seem to do anything. This issue happened recently this week and it seems to have brought another annoying issue that is also rare.

You could try resetting the keyboard... I have been meaning to do this on mine as its rgb never works on startup
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025465031-How-to-Reset-your-keyboard

I haven't seen the Ctrl V = Enter thing before

do you use Icue?
Does logging out instead of restart help?

notices who he has answered... its always funny when I do that.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
You could try resetting the keyboard... I have been meaning to do this on mine as its rgb never works on startup
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025465031-How-to-Reset-your-keyboard

do you use Icue?

Ya know honestly I never thought of logging out to see if it fixes it. If it does it again I’ll have to try that and report back.

I have Icue on a laptop not my main pc. Restarting the keyboard.. while I agree that may help, ugh I’d have to redo my light set up all over again XD

I have not tried factory resetting this keyboard. I can tell you that this issue happened shortly have I bought this keyboard years ago though. I’ll never forget thinking well… guess this is a Corsair thing cause before Corsair I have never had a problem with keyboards like the one I am experiencing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
having to redo colors is why I have ignored problem for a while but its not going to fix itself so i probably do it tomorrow.
Its 2am so I don't want to do it now. I will have to write down all my rgb codes before I reset keyboard
hOeCbf4.jpg

though it depends what it resets. Those are software, it might just change the onboard settings

Which thing was a corsair thing?

my keyboard works even if colors are wrong,.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
having to redo colors is why I have ignored problem for a while but its not going to fix itself so i probably do it tomorrow.
Its 2am so I don't want to do it now. I will have to write down all my rgb codes before I reset keyboard
hOeCbf4.jpg

though it depends what it resets. Those are software, it might just change the onboard settings

Which thing was a corsair thing?

my keyboard works even if colors are wrong,.
The issue where when I power my pc up in the morning my keyboard sometimes will not type any keys.

the other issue I don’t recall starting until sometime earlier this year or maybe sometime late last year.

I guess if I get desperate enough I’ll try resetting my keyboard and write down all my stuff. Probably has to be done.

As for my keyboard working when the lights are wrong. When my keyboard lights up, the lights/profile is correct. It’s just typing a key does nothing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just tried the reset and I did all this

1. Unplug the keyboard.
  2. With the keyboard unplugged, hold down the ESC key.
  3. While holding down the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into the computer.
  4. Keep holding the ESC key until the keyboard begins to flash.
  5. Unplug the keyboard again, then plug it back in.
but my keyboard never started flashing like it should... so I don't know if it worked or not.

it doesn't reset the software profiles, I think it resets the hardware ones.
My keyboard seems to be back to its default red theme when off so maybe it worked.

Guess I find out tomorrow.
I will let you know.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
i just tried the reset and I did all this

1. Unplug the keyboard.
but my keyboard never started flashing like it should... so I don't know if it worked or not.
Guess I find out tomorrow.
it doesn't reset the software profiles, I think it resets the hardware ones.
My keyboard seems to be back to its default red theme when off so maybe it worked.
Ah yes I did read somewhere to do that. Do let me know if it worked please as I may try it myself. Hopefully it reset the keyboard and not just the color profile.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guess you would remember if you had gone into Icue and used the Keyboard/Hardware Key Assignments tab to set Ctrl V to be Enter, so it unlikely to be reason.

Any color schemes you made in Icue are still there, it just reset the keyboard. I just looked. Since you unplug keyboard to reset it, it can't really touch PC can it. All of mine are still there. Just not sure if any on keyboard. I find out tomorrow.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I guess you would remember if you had gone into Icue and used the Keyboard/Hardware Key Assignments tab to set Ctrl V to be Enter, so it unlikely to be reason.

Any color schemes you made in Icue are still there, it just reset the keyboard. I just looked. Since you unplug keyboard to reset it, it can't really touch PC can it. All of mine are still there. Just not sure if any on keyboard. I find out tomorrow.
Hm, guess I’ll have to try resetting it today. Hopefully it helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master

seems the instructions aren't as accurate as they could be. I think mine at defaults, difference is I had Icue running so it put my software theme on right away

1. Unplug the keyboard.
step 4 should be: hold escape for about 5 seconds and release, then keyboard should connect and work.
that was how he did it on video anyway.

Last edited:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

seems the instructions aren't as accurate as they could be. I think mine at defaults, difference is I had Icue running so it put my software theme on right away

step 4 should be: hold escape for about 5 seconds and release, then keyboard should connect and work.
that was how he did it on video anyway.
Ah gotcha. If I end up doing it sometime today I will report back for sure.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems to have worked for me, reset the scheme on my keyboard to all red. I expect I just messed mine up by trying to use too many layers of colors on the hardware scheme. The colour scheme I have saved in Icue still exists/works.
might just leave it all red as I only see red at startup.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
It seems to have worked for me, reset the scheme on my keyboard to all red. I expect I just messed mine up by trying to use too many layers of colors on the hardware scheme. The colour scheme I have saved in Icue still exists/works.
might just leave it all red as I only see red at startup.
Ah sweet. Alright I’ll give it a try sometime tomorrow

Colif

Win 11 Master
I always stall things I don't know are really easy
  1. resetting keyboard takes almost as long as unplugging it does
  2. taking front of my case off seemed really hard until I did it first time and laughed at how easy it was.

there are others but those are most recent

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

do you use Icue?

Alright so it happened again this morning. The using ctrl + v also activated the enter key.

I signed out and signed back in and I can confirm that this did fix the issue. Idk what the heck that means though XD

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you reset keyboard and that still happens, it might be another program conflicting with it

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, just stops non microsoft programs running with startup. easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
if you reset keyboard and that still happens, it might be another program conflicting with it

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, just stops non microsoft programs running with startup. easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
I hadn’t tried resetting my keyboard yet. I wanted to see if the signing out and back in would fix it first :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its your choice.

Figuring it out wouldn't take long, depends how many programs you have that run at startup. Just stop them all and restart one application up, Icue probably makes sense if you use it. Then just run like that for a few days and see if it still happens. If it doesn't happen, add another one and slowly work through your startup apps and see if you can figure out which causes it.

It shouldn't be windows as Ctrl V should be copy/paste not enter

Hi there. I currently use a K95 Platinum that I have been using for about 3 years. Prior to that I had a K70 that I used for about 2 years. The reason I mention both keyboards is that I have 2 questions.

Through 2 different systems over the course of 6 years, both systems containing different hardware/being a different generation and both using Windows 10. When I power PC up in the morning, although rare, sometimes the keyboard will have its lights on and is getting power, but will not type unless I unplug and replug it back in. I have tried different USB ports, tried both USB 2 and 3 though the issue still happens. I do keep the firmware of keyboards up to date but it does not seem to do anything. This issue happened recently this week and it seems to have brought another annoying issue that is also rare.

The second issue is that this also happens extremely rarely but now it has happened twice this week. When using Ctrl + v to paste something, whether it is in notepad, cmd, my browser etc. It seems using ctrl + v also activates the enter key. I have tried googling around and find nothing on this particular issue. The only thing that makes it stop is restarting my PC. Not even unplug and re-plug the keyboard works. It is quite strange and extremely annoying.

Does anyone know why these things happen and maybe, hopefully can shed some light on how to fix them? Ty

In my old PC I had an MSI motherboard. In my current PC I have a z390 aorus pro. Bios up to date, Windows 10 up to date. Drivers up to date.

Thank you!
I had this happen to me for a long time with my i7 10700k and strix MB. I recently moved to a R 7700x and it no longer exhibits that behavior with the corsair keyboard. I was sick of plugging and then unplugging when it wouldn't respond

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Its your choice.

Figuring it out wouldn't take long, depends how many programs you have that run at startup. Just stop them all and restart one application up, Icue probably makes sense if you use it. Then just run like that for a few days and see if it still happens. If it doesn't happen, add another one and slowly work through your startup apps and see if you can figure out which causes it.

It shouldn't be windows as Ctrl V should be copy/paste not enter
Only things I have at startup are percision x so I can’t control my gpu fan curve and discord. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was discord. Gives me a lot of problems…

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I had this happen to me for a long time with my i7 10700k and strix MB. I recently moved to a R 7700x and it no longer exhibits that behavior with the corsair keyboard. I was sick of plugging and then unplugging when it wouldn't respond
If I was to find out it was an Intel issue I’d probably eat my hat. Especially because it wouldn’t surprise me XD

Colif

Win 11 Master
it might not be an intel thing. He has an all new PC, it could be any number of things.
reinstall windows on same PC and it might not happen. Not saying to do that but its always possible.

its a software problem now.

Don't you use Icue? have you checked you have newest firmware on keyboard?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
it might not be an intel thing. He has an all new PC, it could be any number of things.
reinstall windows on same PC and it might not happen. Not saying to do that but its always possible.

its a software problem now.

Don't you use Icue? have you checked you have newest firmware on keyboard?
Yea true. Honestly it was probably a windows update that did it.