[SOLVED] Question about Corsair RGB fans

Mar 20, 2021
Noob here. I was given some Corsair RGB 120s. Their power cords are hooked to my MB and work fine, but I can’t figure out which port to attach the rgb cord to. I’ve seen online that a Corsair rgb hub is required in order to sync the lights and control them through iCue. However I’m not really concerned about that right now, I just want the lights to work! My question is - can I attach the rgb cord directly to my MB? If so, what would the port be labeled? I have a MSI z490 A pro MB if that tidbit helps. I appreciate any feed back and please excuse my ignorance :)

Solution
Exact model is needed. Vendors have a really bad habit of using RGB as a catchall phrase, when in fact the fans are ARGB, which is entirely different.

Most RGB fans are 12v, most ARGB fans are 5v. Seriously do not want to mix them up or funky things happen.

Also, different fans have different amperage needs and RGB is amperage controlled. If you put too many fans on 1 header, you can burn up the motherboard. Too many could be as little as 2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exact model is needed. Vendors have a really bad habit of using RGB as a catchall phrase, when in fact the fans are ARGB, which is entirely different.

Most RGB fans are 12v, most ARGB fans are 5v. Seriously do not want to mix them up or funky things happen.

Also, different fans have different amperage needs and RGB is amperage controlled. If you put too many fans on 1 header, you can burn up the motherboard. Too many could be as little as 2

Solution