Question about Corsair TX650M

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
So I have a question about the TX650M

It comes with 2x 6+2 PCIe cables, but according to the productimage it has 2x 8pin slots on the psu itself, labeled as "6+2PCIe & 4+4 CPU". So my question now (as my GTX1070 requires 2x 6+2 connectors), is this PSU capable of this card? Yes I know wattage is enough and quality is good but the "4+4 CPU" thing confuses me, can I just put one of the 2 6+2PCIe cales in there and connect that to my 1070? Don't want to mess anything up

Solution
Yes, it's perfectly safe to plug both PCIe cables into the 2 plugs on the PSU, as both plugs will be identical. The cables will be wired in a way to allow for the fact that an 8 pin (or 6+2) PCIE cable has 3 live wires and 5 ground wires, where...
The 6+2 is an 8 pin (can be used for 6 pin connections too) So use the 2x 6+2 for the card. The 4+4 cpu power, is as it sounds like, it's for the cpu and connects to the motherboard close to the cpu socket. Never try using the 4+4 in a graphics card, the wiring is different and will short out.

Edit, if you're wondering if you can use both 6+2 cables plus the 4+4, then yes it's made for all 3 plugs.

4745454b

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nico.k : "Question about Corsair TX650m"

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

but according to specsheets it provides 4x 6+2 connectors (2 cables each 2x 6+2) but the psu itself has only 2x 8pin slots labeled as "6+2 & 4+4cpu". so seeing as they even provide 2x pcie cables (with 2x 6+2 each), one would go in the 8pin labeled as "6+2 pcie" and the other one into the "4+4 cpu"? am i missing something?

Corsair-TX650M-TX-M-Series-650-Watt-ATX-Netzteil-Modular_b4.jpg

Ok, I see your point. I'm not sure how you would use all 4 6+2 plugs as you need cpu power too. If you've only got the one graphics card, which it sounds like you do, then simply use one cable for the cpu power and the other for the 2x 6+2.

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

yeah i mean the non-detacheble cables already contain a 4+4 cpu connector too, idk why there's another (modular) 4+4 cpu one. as my cpu gets the power from the non-detachable 4+4 cpu, it's safe to just plug the 2 pci cables into those slots?

Yes, it's perfectly safe to plug both PCIe cables into the 2 plugs on the PSU, as both plugs will be identical. The cables will be wired in a way to allow for the fact that an 8 pin (or 6+2) PCIE cable has 3 live wires and 5 ground wires, where as the CPU power uses an equal number of both (either 2+2 or 4+4 live and ground wires).

I wonder why they include a 4+4 cpu power cable if it already had one hard wired in? You don't need it.

Solution

It's just in case somebody uses that PSU for a rig with powerful CPU and just one GPU. Some motherboards need two 4+4 cables, while most GPUs will work on just single PCIe cable. Obviously you can't connect all three cables at once with only two slots on PSU - but total power consumption of such setup would exceed 650 W, so there is no need for third slot anyway.