Question about Corsair TXM 550 gold

Hey Guys,

I originally thought 550 is the max output and not powerful enough to support a I7-7700k and 1080ti build. He claimed 640W is the actual max output of TX550M and will be enough. I couldn't find enough info online to justify, can someone enlighten me? Like the number on the PSU is not really max, how should we determine? Thanks :)

Solution
Everyone has a different load limit. I think I picked my 80% figure from HardOCP's "torture test". They load the PSU up to 75 or 80% of output and hold it there for 8hrs. I've seen on the forum many people pick 50% because there is where max load efficiency. The difference between 50% and 75% is usually around 1 or 1.5% lower. I'm willing to give up greater max efficiency for a lower priced unit and great idle efficiency.

If your eyes glossed over, let me use the previous ~400W load as an example. 400W is 73% of a 550W unit, so I'm fine with running a 400W system on a 550W PSU. If you want to only load a PSU to 50% of it's output, you'll need an 800W unit to power that system. Not a lot of those, you'll probably pick from a...

Ooh look, in hot testing it can hit 645w.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=261

He runs them all higher than rated for testing to see if they pop. :D

But that doesn't mean to run them at that normally. LOL

Oh really? So what would you recommend for a pair of GTX970's and a 2600k then?

Yeah, he runs them all at +100W over in testing to see if they will hold without failing. That's a standard testing method to push higher than rated in TESTING.

With some overhead?

A good 750W PSU.

But a good quality 650W would be enough depending on what it was.

4745454b

Titan
I estimate the draw around 400W. 250W GPU + 100W CPU + 50W rest of system. 400W/550W = 73% of the output. That should be no problem for a Corsair TX PSU. Assuming you don't have a bad/DOA PSU, the PSU shouldn't be the cause of whatever issue you are having.

620w since 2014, You're close but no cigar.

I don't think he was having any issues.

It was more about someone told him he could run +100w over rated power on TX550M......

Not sure where all this is coming from here lately.

You are only pulling around 550w so that's about right, 620W or 650W...... Like I said.

That's about 100w less than rated...

Not +100w like was suggested, or over drawn.

Would be like you running a 450W PSU. ;)

How long do you think that would last?

It's a 620w PSU that was purchased in 2006 so how long do you think it will last?

4745454b

Titan
The power limit is set by the manufacturer. I think generally it's set for 130% of rated output, but I don't think there is a hard rule about this. I don't think you should ever plan to use the over limit power. If you buy a 550W, plan on using up to ~80% of that. Some people plan on using 50% of that, but I don't like that figure. Makes you buy a PSU that's way to large for your system, and ruins your idle efficiency.

So it really doesn't matter what the MAX power is. Just used the listed power and be safe.

I have a Seasonic 620W M12ii that's 7+ YO and it's still fine.

For yours I just dunno, I think you are on borrowed time though now, 11+ YO is really pushing it.

I agree, 80% is fine and what I also go by.

Considering how this PSU was running a pair of OC'd 8800GT's then OC'd 560Ti's for a few years and then a couple of 660Ti's before the 970's I think I'm all out of borrowed time and am now on the fact that the PSU can do what I thought it could do when I bought it.

I would say you got your money out of it. :D

4745454b

Titan
You said you agreed with 80% draw. I already showed my math of it pulling ~72% of 550W. Hence my confusion on where you stand. It's not going to pull 500W+. Don't like my math? Check this out.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_video_card_review/12

What does HardOCP show for the entire system? 394W for gaming with the 1080TI. Is that close enough to 400W? It's actually less than that because they are using a kill a watt and it's not taking PSU efficiency into account. But there is no way a system like that is going to be pulling 500W+.

Those are the FE editions (Reference cards) of the cards, the partner cards draw more power, the reason for the dual 8 Pin connectors.

Especially when OCed.

So the whole article was completely worthless unless everyone only bought the reference cards only.

Just as a simple example the EVGA FTW2 GTX 1080 can pull almost 240w as shown here, that's the card ONLY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-gtx-1080-ftw2-icx-cooler,4925-3.html

That's much more than the reference GTX 1080.

That's almost the same as the power draw of the FE GTX 1080Ti at 248w..... For a GTX 1080 FTW2.... 238W

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

I use the FTW2 GTX 1080 as an example because that is what I am running now and an I7 7700K

4745454b

Titan
So where is your 300W 1080TI? Vapour said something about running a 7700 and 1080TI on a TX550, and you said "The TX550M is a good PSU though, but no way I would run that system off of it". I've shown my math twice now, you are around 400W, not 500W like you said. Vap never said anything about some "FTW uber clocked golden sample special edition" 1080TI. I asked where you stand because you said "no way", and then said "80% is fine and what I also go by". That PSU would be loaded to less than 75% with a normal setup. To be honest I was simply pointing out your conflict. Which has nothing to do with with Vap's issue. So we should move on.

To get us back on topic...

Like the number on the PSU is not really max, how should we determine?

I think I've already replied to this, but I'll mention it again. Use the number on the PSU as max. The OCP/OPP will be set higher, but you shouldn't plan on it. Plan to load your PSU to ~80% of the rated output and you'll be ok.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I think the confusion is in that Vapour in a previous thread (and in general) seems to be of the belief that 550w (or whatever the number is on the psu) is the dead set limit. Thats not the case, high end PSUs can easily exceed that limit, BUT you should not build your system around that, because there is still a reason they put that number on the side of the psu. Occasional spikes beyond, sure no problem. Gaming day in and day out at 50-100w over the limit is not a good idea.

The other misconception here is that a 1080ti and 7700k is going to draw over what a 550w unit will put out. Its simply not the case. I have a set of components in my system that are proven to draw more, a R7 1800X and a Vega 64 Liquid cooled. I occasionally hit 620w draw from the wall. The 7700k and 1080ti are far more efficient. A 550w psu is more than enough.

Yeah, the rated limit should be what one build around with some sort of reasonable overhead. I think a lot of comes from some people seem to believe they can run their PSU's maxxed out all the time and or over.

NOBODY ever said a GTX 1080Ti and a I7 7700K was going to draw more than 550W.

Well there is one model that can that I know of, but that's that crazy $1300 unit with 3x 8 Pin connections.

My point was it was cutting it closer than I would ever do given reasonable overhead. ;)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

In another thread this was claimed by vapour, which we clearly know is wrong. I think thats also where the confusion lies here.