[SOLVED] Question about cpu compatibility for MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

KostGRGamer

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Hello There,

I want to ask if a Ryzen 5 5600x will be compatible with MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus without needing bios update.
I have checked msi's website about bios updates and there is no indication that it needs a bios update to support the cpu.
I have heard that you need to update bios first to support this cpu and I have also heard that it does not need to be updated and everything will be fine.
Can someone give me an elaborate answer because I am a bit confused.

Another question to ask: Can I test the motherboard and the cpu without putting any components like the air cooler etc. (only the cpu, the motherboard and the gpu to get signal will be installed) just to be sure that everything is ok?
The cpu will not get hot for instance?? I only want to get a boot screen and go to bios thats all, and after that I will shut it down to get assembled.

Thank you very much!
Have a nice day.

Hello There,

I want to ask if a Ryzen 5 5600x will be compatible with MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus without needing bios update.
I have checked msi's website about bios updates and there is no indication that it needs a bios update to support the cpu.
I have heard that you need to update bios first to support this cpu and I have also heard that it does not need to be updated and everything will be fine.
Can someone give me an elaborate answer because I am a bit confused.

Another question to ask: Can I test the motherboard and the cpu without putting any components like the air cooler etc. (only the cpu, the motherboard and the gpu to get signal will be installed) just to be sure that everything is ok?
The cpu will not get hot for instance?? I only want to get a boot screen and go to bios thats all, and after that I will shut it down to get assembled.

Thank you very much!
Have a nice day.
The board's got a BIOS FlashBack button so you should be able to update it without a CPU.

Also, even if it DOES have a supporting BIOS you should update to the latest. Especially for Ryzen 5000 since they are several important fixes in later BIOS's.

Reactions: KostGRGamer