[SOLVED] Question about CPU Coolers & If I should Upgrade.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

Specs:
I have an i7-10700 and my motherboard is Gigabyte H410M S2H 1.0 LGA1200 Board.
RTX 3070
32GB Ram
System on NVMe SSD
Windows 10

PROBLEM:
My Computer has been completely freezing where all peripherals becomes unresponsive due to my CPU Package and cores reaching 100c or above 90 for a very long time.
It's reaching 100c even though the usage is sometimes 20% 30% or less

NOTE:
My CPU is usually around 50c with basic Browser, Discord, Steam and few other programs open on desktop. 90-100c when in games. I bought this whole system 11 months ago, I remember used to be able to hear the fan sounds being loud back when I used my CPU but now I do not hear the sound being loud and I am not sure if it's dying or if theres any software locking it, as I do not have any from my end as far as I know..

It's NOT reaching 100% Usage, it's just reaching 100c with normal to low usage it feels like.. like 16% 20% usage

I have a Stock CPU Cooler.
QUESTIONS:
1) Incase I want to buy a new CPU Cooler, does CPU Coolers that comes with RGB requires more ports into the motherboard? (Last time they told me that I ran out of RGB Slots if I was to buy anything extra with "RGB" so I am curious if CPU COOLERS that naturally come with RGB run their RGB from the power cable or uses an additional port/cable..)

2) If you think I should definitly forget about this cooler, and I should buy one.. which one should I get from this store that matches my specs? https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ (can't find any better store nearby) ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SUPER APPRECIATED, as I do not know what matches/compatible and what's best.

3) Could anything have caused my fan to stop performing well at high tempratures? it's not even being loud anymore when my CPU is hot the same way it was when i first got my system..

Last edited:
Solution
I'll give that a try, someone was also suggesting to me similar because they said its weird that my pc is being like 55c at "idle" or even "50" with the panel taken off and even 0% 1% usage (where the 1% is just HWMonitor really..), even at bios it would be around 70..

I have a question, do you know if the heatsink could probably get lose due to vibrations? I never really move/touch my pc but i wonder if sometimes a little bit of a tiny shake with constant vibrations can cause a heatsink to be unstable.

I'll try doing this now.

Intel stock cooler is usually very secure when is installed properly, but at the same time the retention mechanism is really not the best, not by far. Those little pins can be a nightmare sometimes...

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
That motherboard has very poor VRM for a i7-10700. Only use it with a topflow cooler like the be quiet! Dark Rock TF. A topflow cooler blows air on the VRM to cool it, a tower cooler doesn't.
Thank you for replying, unfortunately, I can only buy what's provided to me on this website as that's the only option available for me currently where I am. https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ do you have any suggestions there? note that my motherboard doesnt have any more RGB ports available so buying something with RGB isn't gonna be ideal unless the RGB comes out of the power cord too.

When I first got my PC I made sure to always track its performance and monitor my hardware and for months straight it was always stable and never had an issue till recently :/ that's the thing that's bothering me, because I had it only for 11 months, but during almost all of it my CPU never had any heating problems nor did any other parts on my motherboard/in my pc.

These numbers suggest that your CPU cooler isn't good enough for gaming and your case is restricting airflow to the cooler. You could game with the side panel off and a large house fan pointed at the system.
Thank you for replying, I've tried doing that (with a good fan on maximum positioned there directly), it only impacted it by like 3 degrees fluctuating sometimes its 1-2 degrees only.

Everything else on the motherboard is running pretty cool/stable/normal even when playing games like call of duty Warzone on high ultra settings.

Thank you for replying, unfortunately, I can only buy what's provided to me on this website as that's the only option available for me currently where I am. https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ do you have any suggestions there? note that my motherboard doesnt have any more RGB ports available so buying something with RGB isn't gonna be ideal unless the RGB comes out of the power cord too.

When I first got my PC I made sure to always track its performance and monitor my hardware and for months straight it was always stable and never had an issue till recently :/ that's the thing that's bothering me, because I had it only for 11 months, but during almost all of it my CPU never had any heating problems nor did any other parts on my motherboard/in my pc.

Thank you for replying, I've tried doing that (with a good fan on maximum positioned there directly), it only impacted it by like 3 degrees fluctuating sometimes its 1-2 degrees only.

Everything else on the motherboard is running pretty cool/stable/normal even when playing games like call of duty Warzone on high ultra settings.
I would suggest removing the heatsink, cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying fresh paste and re mounting the cooler. Perhaps something got loose or the paste dried up early or it was not applied correctly in the first place.

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
I would suggest removing the heatsink, cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying fresh paste and re mounting the cooler. Perhaps something got loose or the paste dried up early or it was not applied correctly in the first place.
I'll give that a try, someone was also suggesting to me similar because they said its weird that my pc is being like 55c at "idle" or even "50" with the panel taken off and even 0% 1% usage (where the 1% is just HWMonitor really..), even at bios it would be around 70..

I have a question, do you know if the heatsink could probably get lose due to vibrations? I never really move/touch my pc but i wonder if sometimes a little bit of a tiny shake with constant vibrations can cause a heatsink to be unstable.

I'll try doing this now.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
To be honest I have no idea. I usually just go with hyper 212 Black edition but they do not have those in stock.
I might've found a store that actually got that, https://ayoubcomputers.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-rgb-black-edition-air-cooler-hyper-212/ they have it for around $32 (basically any price you see there, divide it by 20,000 and you'll get the USD $ price) - need to confirm it with them tomorrow Monday not 100% sure if its available yet.

Since you have it, do you know if your fan has 2 cables one for RGB and one for power, or if its both from the power/cpu cooler cable?!

I'll try doing this now.

Intel stock cooler is usually very secure when is installed properly, but at the same time the retention mechanism is really not the best, not by far. Those little pins can be a nightmare sometimes.

The cooler may seem to be well mounted but it may be loose in one of the corners.

My suggestion is remove the other side panel (looking at the case from the front, the one on the right) and inspect the 4 push-pins of the cooler. Check if all 4 of them are present, well fit and secure inside the little wholes.

PD: also go to the case web page and see if the new cooler acutally fit inside, most of this tower cooler are around 160mm tall.

Solution

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Intel stock cooler is usually very secure when is installed properly, but at the same time the retention mechanism is really not the best, not by far. Those little pins can be a nightmare sometimes.

The cooler may seem to be well mounted but it may be loose in one of the corners.

My suggestion is remove the other side panel (looking at the case from the front, the one on the right) and inspect the 4 push-pins of the cooler. Check if all 4 of them are present, well fit and secure inside the little wholes.
Was seeing a video about that, good idea thank you will do and update it all here soon!

Reactions: RodroX

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for replying, would that be normal for Thermal Paste to do that? at first I thought about it but then i started doubting myself when i was noticing that the fan itself (although I set it at maximum 100% 3000 RPM) it still wasn't even sounding loud enough as it used to be when its above 65c, and then I thought this PC/Cooler was only set up 10-11 months ago :(
New paste is not going to matter the stock cooler just sux and your probably going to need a better cooler than a Hyper 212 also.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
New paste is not going to matter the stock cooler just sux and your probably going to need a better cooler than a Hyper 212 also.
Thank you for replying, I'm okay with paying more for a cooler.

Websites where I can get CPU Coolers from:
  1. https://pcandparts.com/cooling/
  2. https://ayoubcomputers.com/search.php?search_query=cpu+cooler&section=product
CPU Socket: 1200 LGA.

Unfortunately my options are limited by what my local stores like those offer, and the fact that my motherboard doesn't have any more slots for any RGB remaining, so something without RGB might be best unless the RGB is directly from the CPUFan power cable or something c:
If you can suggest from those sites I'd appreciate that. (As for the price on the second site, whatever you see divide by 20,000 is what the usd $ is)

Thank you for replying, I'm okay with paying more for a cooler.

Websites where I can get CPU Coolers from:
  1. https://pcandparts.com/cooling/
  2. https://ayoubcomputers.com/search.php?search_query=cpu+cooler&section=product
CPU Socket: 1200 LGA.

Unfortunately my options are limited by what my local stores like those offer, and the fact that my motherboard doesn't have any more slots for any RGB remaining, so something without RGB might be best unless the RGB is directly from the CPUFan power cable or something c:
If you can suggest from those sites I'd appreciate that. (As for the price on the second site, whatever you see divide by 20,000 is what the usd $ is)
Looking at those sites they all seem to have RGB. Your best bet may be one of the triple fan 360mm AIO water coolers

Sorry, you're right. I previously was going to buy that case but it was out of stock and we had replaced it by my current, actually my case name is RGB Quartz Aerocool https://aerocool.io/product/quartz-rgb/

Alright, then from the website it shows:
CPU Clearance Supports CPU up to 152mm

So if you choose a tower cooler you can't go higher than that.

In my opinion, as an alternative, a 240mm AIO liquid cooler should be more than enough for a i7-10700 (non-K). If thats too expensive you can either look for a 92mm tower cooler, or a 120mm AIO mounted at the top panel.

Any of this solutions wont change the fact that sadly your case is not the best air-flow wise.

You can also try what I did on my old case. I moved the front fans to the back of the metal frame (that way I got some extra space of air for the fans to pull in the case):

Original:

r4GNmx5.jpg

New setup, with fans mounted far back:

7ZCFZGB.jpg

New one:

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020

PD: also go to the case web page and see if the new cooler acutally fit inside, most of this tower cooler are around 160mm tall.
Thank you for your replies. And thanks everyone.
1) Okay so I've unplugged my pc completely, and we've completely went through every tiny centimeter and cleaned every dust cell that exists. (Btw, I've had plenty of PCs this one wasn't that dusty at all really, just abit at the bottom magnetic removeable shield below PSU, and some near the cpu cooler, overall the PC was actually clean..)

2) Either way, the first thing I noticed was the TOP RIGHT Pin for the CPU Cooler did a sound as if it clicked when i touched it.. so i tried inserting all of them properly (without removing them because I was still scared 😛 just tried to push them down..)

3) Replugged my pc, and now my idle temprature go down from 55 to 35.. and pretty much I gained about 20c less, so I am assuming it was the pin although it was barely noticeable as I barely had to touch it that much ? nor that there was too much dust to begin with? maybe resetting the power from the pc did something?

No idea what it is, but it's better now.. tried Idle testing, testing while having programs open, and gaming testing.

I think it's running perfect for a Intel Stock Cooler, however looking online, it seems like everyone who had this CPU complained about i710700 being "too much" for stock cooler during games, and 90c+ is common for i7 10700 if you have a stock cooler. - The fan is NOT ENOUGH for the 10700 if you're going to be gaming/on high high temps.

So buying a new decent cooler is going to be the right choice for me, the good news is I know my CPU is fine and it was something wrong with the fan.. - The fan is NOT ENOUGH for the 10700 if you're going to be gaming/on high high temps.

I'll be closing this and open a new one tomorrow to see what CPU Coolers my local stores got available (as it's going to be monday) and I'll post a new thread with availability.

Thank you all ❤

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX