[SOLVED] Question about CPU Coolers & If I should Upgrade.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

Specs:
I have an i7-10700 and my motherboard is Gigabyte H410M S2H 1.0 LGA1200 Board.
RTX 3070
32GB Ram
System on NVMe SSD
Windows 10

PROBLEM:
My Computer has been completely freezing where all peripherals becomes unresponsive due to my CPU Package and cores reaching 100c or above 90 for a very long time.
It's reaching 100c even though the usage is sometimes 20% 30% or less

NOTE:
My CPU is usually around 50c with basic Browser, Discord, Steam and few other programs open on desktop. 90-100c when in games. I bought this whole system 11 months ago, I remember used to be able to hear the fan sounds being loud back when I used my CPU but now I do not hear the sound being loud and I am not sure if it's dying or if theres any software locking it, as I do not have any from my end as far as I know..

It's NOT reaching 100% Usage, it's just reaching 100c with normal to low usage it feels like.. like 16% 20% usage

I have a Stock CPU Cooler.
QUESTIONS:
1) Incase I want to buy a new CPU Cooler, does CPU Coolers that comes with RGB requires more ports into the motherboard? (Last time they told me that I ran out of RGB Slots if I was to buy anything extra with "RGB" so I am curious if CPU COOLERS that naturally come with RGB run their RGB from the power cable or uses an additional port/cable..)

2) If you think I should definitly forget about this cooler, and I should buy one.. which one should I get from this store that matches my specs? https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ (can't find any better store nearby) ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SUPER APPRECIATED, as I do not know what matches/compatible and what's best.

3) Could anything have caused my fan to stop performing well at high tempratures? it's not even being loud anymore when my CPU is hot the same way it was when i first got my system..

Last edited:
Solution
I'll give that a try, someone was also suggesting to me similar because they said its weird that my pc is being like 55c at "idle" or even "50" with the panel taken off and even 0% 1% usage (where the 1% is just HWMonitor really..), even at bios it would be around 70..

I have a question, do you know if the heatsink could probably get lose due to vibrations? I never really move/touch my pc but i wonder if sometimes a little bit of a tiny shake with constant vibrations can cause a heatsink to be unstable.

I'll try doing this now.

Intel stock cooler is usually very secure when is installed properly, but at the same time the retention mechanism is really not the best, not by far. Those little pins can be a nightmare sometimes...

Lutfij

Titan
1| RGB connector needs to tether to an available RGB header on the motherboard or the cooler should come with a RGB controller. ARGB coolers will need an ARGB header on the board or will come with a controller. ARGB and RGB devices are not interchangeable.

2| Ah, you're located in Lebanon. I grew up in the Middle East(Dubai, U.A.E). What's your budget for said cooler?

3| Probably clogged up with dust/debris and dust bunnies. I've had to clean a lot of client system's that were flogged with dust and debris to warrant near 20 deg higher temps then when they were brand new.

Question for you, what sort of temps are you getting for your ambient room air temps? Can you shoot us an image of the innards and how the cooler is in your build? Chances are you can forgo the cooler purchase for a little while during winter if the cooler just needs some cleaning. In all honesty, the stock cooler is just rubbish, not like what you get on AMD's RyZen platform. One more question, what is the make and model of your case and PSU?

I just noticed something in your sig space, you're on version 1909 for Windows 10. You are pending an update to 21H1, see if that alleviates your temperature issues as well. You will also need to make sure your BIOS is up to date for your motherboard.

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Thank you for responding, my whole system itself is new, as I had bought everything and built it and launched it at the 1st January 2021 this year.

- My room was around 28c when my CPU was reaching 100c, although months ago when it was much hotter, it never got this bad!

- My whole pc/motherboard/parts seems pretty clean (I cleaned it not that long ago too), the fan isn't 100% dust-free now that i shine light there but it's weird how it never makes any loud sounds anymore as if it's working harder when its on hot tempratures, as it used to always do..

- What do you suggest for a budget? I keep seeing online that usually you can find a very decent cooler for $30 $40, but I guess anything below $100 or around that if I have to push it? (Main reason why i am not trying to overpay is because in near-future I'll be traveling and only planning to take some parts like GPU with me.)

- My Case is Aerocool Rift RGB Mid Tower Case with/ Full Window, here's a photo (sry for quality, ss'd it from a playing video)

(If it's not clear, I have the pc set up on its own little setup table (not on floor), and the front isn't blocked (where there's airflow passage that's way too high from anything below it) as for the back its pretty free too)

Everything else in my pc has proper temps, I play call of duty warzone on max ultra settings, SSD, Vram, GPU, eveyrthing else on hwmonitor seems perfectly fine as if it's not even hot.. except for the cpu :(

- Aerocool KCAS-850GM RGB 850W Modular Gold PSU

- Windows Update: You're right, I just noticed that 🙂 I'll do it and let you know!

NOTE: When the freeze happens, my keyboard/mouse/headset all becomes unrespensive, and i gotta hold the power button to turn it off, and whilst turning it back on, it would be stuck at loading windows, then i go back to BIOS (Gigabyte bios) and "Load Optimized Defaults" and re-relaunch it, and even then it might still be frozen and I've gotta do that steps few times till it succeed.. and usually when I first get into bios, I notice the CPU being at 77c, not sure if that's normal but thought I'd mention these..

Thanks a lot for responding and trying to help <3 i appreciate it 🙂

Update: I went to the Bios, and made the fan to be always full speed on 3000 RPM, however it still not cooling enough, still don't even sound loud (which is weird because on HWMonitor it does say its 3000 same for bios)

I believe I should just proceed with getting a new cooler at this point, do you agree? if so can you please suggest one that's compatible to me from this site as I mentioned? https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ I probably should go for non RGB ones (unless RGB works from same power as cable one) since I have no more room on my motherboard for RGB slot.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,
Specs:
I have an i7-10700 and my motherboard is Gigabyte H410M S2H 1.0 LGA1200 Board.
RTX 3070
32GB Ram
System on NVMe SSD
Windows 10

PROBLEM:
My Computer has been completely freezing where all peripherals becomes unresponsive due to my CPU Package and cores reaching 100c or above 90 for a very long time.

NOTE:
My CPU is usually around 50c with basic Browser, Discord, Steam and few other programs open on desktop. 90-100c when in games. I bought this whole system 11 months ago (NEW), I remember used to be able to hear the fan sounds being louder back when I used my CPU but now I do not hear the sound being loud and I am not sure if it's dying or if theres any software locking it, as I do not have any from my end as far as I know..

SSD, VRAM, GPU, Motherboard, all of them have normal tempratures, normal usage and actually feels very stable/cool from HWMonitor and in-game. (Still get 144 FPS/Hz on games like call of duty Warzone)

It's NOT reaching 100% Usage, it's just reaching 100c with normal to low usage it feels like.. like 16% 20% usage

I have a Stock CPU Cooler.

QUESTIONS:
1) Is there a way to confirm 100% the CPU Cooler is the issue, or could it ever be the CPU itself?

2) If you think I should definitly forget about this cooler, and I should buy one.. which one should I get from this store that matches my specs? https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ (can't find any better store nearby) ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SUPER APPRECIATED, as I do not know what matches/compatible and what's best. (Probably a NON RGB one since I only got 1 port remaining on my board so if the cooler came with one for power and RGB I wouldn't be able to plug RGB in)

3) Could anything have caused my fan to stop performing well at high tempratures? it's not even being loud anymore when my CPU is hot the same way it was when i first got my system..

Thank you in advance.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Get some thermal paste and reinstall the cooler and see if that help anything good cheap place to start.
Thanks for replying, would that be normal for Thermal Paste to do that? at first I thought about it but then i started doubting myself when i was noticing that the fan itself (although I set it at maximum 100% 3000 RPM) it still wasn't even sounding loud enough as it used to be when its above 65c, and then I thought this PC/Cooler was only set up 10-11 months ago :(

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks for replying, would that be normal for Thermal Paste to do that? at first I thought about it but then i started doubting myself when i was noticing that the fan itself (although I set it at maximum 100% 3000 RPM) it still wasn't even sounding loud enough as it used to be when its above 65c, and then I thought this PC/Cooler was only set up 10-11 months ago :(

10-11 months I doubt it. What cooler is it?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
10-11 months I doubt it. What cooler is it?
Stock Intel CPU Cooler, my whole system/parts are brand new, everything I said above in my specs pretty much was built from scratch few months ago, everything seems to be running as if it's day 1 still, except for the CPU Temprature not cooling down, nor the fan sounding as loud as it did when I first had it.. :(

D

Deleted member 362816

Stock Intel CPU Cooler, my whole system/parts are brand new, everything I said above in my specs pretty much was built from scratch few months ago, everything seems to be running as if it's day 1 still, except for the CPU Temprature not cooling down, nor the fan sounding as loud as it did when I first had it.. :(

I mean I would try a new cooler I doubt that CPU itself is going bad. Intel's stock cooler is garbage.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
I mean I would try a new cooler I doubt that CPU itself is going bad. Intel's stock cooler is garbage.
Yeah and from testing it in-game, I mean the CPU is still being great, still pretty fast, very low latency in heavy games like Warzone, I still get my 144 FPS/Hz its just the temprature that I am having troubles with, thats why i came to the conclusion that it is the cpu cooler at this point and nothing else :( especially that it doesnt even sound the same :/

Are you experienced enough to know what cooler is compatible with my hardware to buy from here? https://pcandparts.com/cooling/ it's the only place I can buy from currently, and I dont have any more ports on my motherboard for RGB so i should probably go for a non-RGB one (unless rgb is taken from same port as power one for the cpu cooler).

I think I'd be willing to pay anything below $100 or around that range. I keep seeing online that $30 $40 could get you a decent CPU Cooler so I wonder if that website got any decent ones for my setup, as thats the only site I can refer to right now.

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks, do you know if that fan comes with 2 cables? one for RGB and one for power? OR are both RGB & Power from the same cable? as my motherboard dont got any more ports available for RGB

To be honest I have no idea. I usually just go with hyper 212 Black edition but they do not have those in stock.

Co BIY

Splendid
Does the fan on your cooler spin ? Is it being blocked by a cable or obstruction ? is a ton of dust blocking the fan?
Check the power cable.

Check Motherboard manual and make sure it's plugged into the right spot (CPU Fan vs System Fan).

I noticed that that board claims to have the "Smart Fan 5" system for fan control and "Hybrid" fan headers. Double check all those settings.

Intel stock cooler is low performance but high reliability. Pretty rare for them to go bad.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Does the fan on your cooler spin ? Is it being blocked by a cable or obstruction ? is a ton of dust blocking the fan?
Check the power cable.

Check Motherboard manual and make sure it's plugged into the right spot (CPU Fan vs System Fan).

I noticed that that board claims to have the "Smart Fan 5" system for fan control and "Hybrid" fan headers. Double check all those settings.

Intel stock cooler is low performance but high reliability. Pretty rare for them to go bad.
Yes the fan does spin, what's weird is even though I tried increasing it to 100% (3000 RPM) it says so in bios and on HWMonitor, it does get a bit louder, but not as loud as it used to be few months ago..

As for the dust my whole pc is 10 months old, and I've cleaned it couple times, right now the CPU Cooler fan isn't 100% Dust free (if you shine phone light on it from an angle) but it's nothing that bad at all :(

Like it it's working, spinning, but just feels not as efficient? or as loud as it used to be? I checked SmartFan5 in Bios and it seems to be configured properly as I can increase and decrease the speed/sound from there.

Yes the fan does spin, what's weird is even though I tried increasing it to 100% (3000 RPM) it says so in bios and on HWMonitor, it does get a bit louder, but not as loud as it used to be few months ago..

As for the dust my whole pc is 10 months old, and I've cleaned it couple times, right now the CPU Cooler fan isn't 100% Dust free (if you shine phone light on it from an angle) but it's nothing that bad at all :(

Like it it's working, spinning, but just feels not as efficient? or as loud as it used to be? I checked SmartFan5 in Bios and it seems to be configured properly as I can increase and decrease the speed/sound from there.
The case and case fan configurations have a lot to do with CPU temperatures. The CPU cooler needs cool air coming into the case for it to be effective. Which case and case fans do you have?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
The case and case fan configurations have a lot to do with CPU temperatures. The CPU cooler needs cool air coming into the case for it to be effective. Which case and case fans do you have?
It's called Aerocool Rift RGB Mid Tower Case w/ Full Window , here's a Photo of it taken from a video it's a bit blurry but:

It was built by "professionals" (which I paid fees for, so i didnt set the fans myself), the PC itself is above ground on its own little table, there's air intake (or out) infront at the bottom of the pc, and that isn't blocked by the table and is also very high from the floor, as for the back nothing is blocking it neither.

On HWMonitor I can see that everything else for the most part on my motherboard seems to be running cool/normal temprature, like my GPU, SSDs, Motherboard, all seems to be fine/normal/cool except CPU.

It's being 58-59-60c in BIOS sometimes I boot at 77, 78 not sure if that's normal too.
CPU Cooler fan showing to be above 3000 RPM but doesn't even sound that loud at all..

Last edited:
It's called Aerocool Rift RGB Mid Tower Case w/ Full Window , here's a Photo of it taken from a video it's a bit blurry but:
View: https://i.imgur.com/KfvFecJ.png

It was built by "professionals" (which I paid fees for, so i didnt set the fans myself), the PC itself is above ground on its own little table, there's air intake (or out) infront at the bottom of the pc, and that isn't blocked by the table and is also very high from the floor, as for the back nothing is blocking it neither.

On HWMonitor I can see that everything else for the most part on my motherboard seems to be running cool/normal temprature, like my GPU, SSDs, Motherboard, all seems to be fine/normal/cool except CPU.

It's being 58-59-60c in BIOS sometimes I boot at 77, 78 not sure if that's normal too.
CPU Cooler fan showing to be above 3000 RPM but doesn't even sound that loud at all..
It looks like a pretty poor design for airflow, only some mesh at the bottom right of the front panel. You may still have temperature issues after replacing the stock cooler. You would be better off changing the case as well as the cooler.

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
The reason I wasn't overpaying for a whole new case or a $200 aio cooler etc was that I am planning to travel soon, therefor I wasn't going to take the case with me, maybe just RTX 3070 and some small SSDs and cpu probably, but now it feels inevitable that I need the new CPU Cooler but I don't think I can do the case yet as I'm not as experience to do the full setup myself and its gonna take a lot of time and hassle to have the professionals do it for me :/

I've kinda learnt how to do a CPU Cooler installation now after plenty of v ideos and guides, I just need to know which one is the best compatible for me here from this site https://pcandparts.com/cooling - on CPUZ it says that my Package is Socket 1200 LGA

and yeah what confuses me is why ALL the other parts are cool/okay, some are as low as 20c, lower than my room temprature (like the SSDs), GPU even when I am running 2021 games on full max ultra settings stays great tempratures and runs perfectly, even CPU used to be perfect until now where the fan stopped performing or even sounding loud :/

I am just trying to get a decent CPU Fan Cooler as in near-near future I'll probably be in a whole new country with a complete different case/setup etc.

The reason I wasn't overpaying for a whole new case or a $200 aio cooler etc was that I am planning to travel soon, therefor I wasn't going to take the case with me, maybe just RTX 3070 and some small SSDs and cpu probably, but now it feels inevitable that I need the new CPU Cooler but I don't think I can do the case yet as I'm not as experience to do the full setup myself and its gonna take a lot of time and hassle to have the professionals do it for me :/

I've kinda learnt how to do a CPU Cooler installation now after plenty of v ideos and guides, I just need to know which one is the best compatible for me here from this site https://pcandparts.com/cooling - on CPUZ it says that my Package is Socket 1200 LGA

and yeah what confuses me is why ALL the other parts are cool/okay, some are as low as 20c, lower than my room temprature (like the SSDs), GPU even when I am running 2021 games on full max ultra settings stays great tempratures and runs perfectly, even CPU used to be perfect until now where the fan stopped performing or even sounding loud :/

I am just trying to get a decent CPU Fan Cooler as in near-near future I'll probably be in a whole new country with a complete different case/setup etc.
You could take the side panel off and see how it affect the CPU temperature

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
You could take the side panel off and see how it affect the CPU temperature
Okay I've ran IDLE Tests with Panel OFF and Panel ON.

Panel ON idle: 58-59c
Panel OFF idle: 48-49c

1-2% CPU Usage Panel OFF: up to 71c
1-2% CPU Usage Panel ON: up to 77c

Gaming with Panel ON: Mostly 90c+ and all cores eventually hit 100c
Gaming with Panel OFF: All cores eventually reached 90c+, some 100c, here's a picture. (probably would've if I played a bit more)
xX2Bfaf.png

So it appears that removing the Panel did improve it by few numbers, but it was still 50c at idle, still reaching almost 100c at gaming sadly.

Okay I've ran IDLE Tests with Panel OFF and Panel ON.

Panel ON idle: 58-59c
Panel OFF idle: 48-49c

1-2% CPU Usage Panel OFF: up to 71c
1-2% CPU Usage Panel ON: up to 77c

Gaming with Panel ON: Mostly 90c+ and all cores eventually hit 100c
Gaming with Panel OFF: All cores eventually reached 90c+, some 100c, here's a picture. (probably would've if I played a bit more)
xX2Bfaf.png

So it appears that removing the Panel did improve it by few numbers, but it was still 50c at idle, still reaching almost 100c at gaming sadly.
These numbers suggest that your CPU cooler isn't good enough for gaming and your case is restricting airflow to the cooler. You could game with the side panel off and a large house fan pointed at the system.