Question Question about CPU cores and threads.

thatskuroo

Prominent
Jun 21, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a quick question.
So basically I have to compare two computers with same [similar] specs but one has a Ryzen 5 3600 and the other Ryzen 5 2600x. Searching on the web I discovered that the only difference except 0.1 cpu mhz is that the 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, and the 2600x has 6 cores/6 threads.

So my question is, is there a way to set the 3600 at 6 cores and 6 threads too? In the boot option i can’t set specifically how many of them to use so if it’s there a way even with some program that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Why?

You cannot compare CPUs from different generations using ‘MHz’ as it does not take into account IPC. The 3600 is a decent bit faster than a 2600x if you lookup reviews & benchmarks which is the only way to compare CPU’s.

Hello everyone, I have a quick question.
So basically I have to compare two computers with same [similar] specs but one has a Ryzen 5 3600 and the other Ryzen 5 2600x. Searching on the web I discovered that the only difference except 0.1 cpu mhz is that the 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, and the 2600x has 6 cores/6 threads.

So my question is, is there a way to set the 3600 at 6 cores and 6 threads too? In the boot option i can’t set specifically how many of them to use so if it’s there a way even with some program that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
You are mistaken: both the 2600X and the 3600 are 6 core/12 thread CPU's.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x

There is a lot more than just the small difference in rated clocks separating the two CPU's. They are different architectures (Zen+ vs. Zen 2) and use completely different processes for the CPU (12nm GloFo vs. 7nm TSMC); both use 12nm GloFo for the SoC.

The 3600 has somewhere around 10-12% better IPC so you could expect that much better performance at the same clock speed. It also has a much improved integrated memory controller so you can reliably expect 3600Mtps memory clocks just by enabling XMP with correctly rated memory kits.

In short: the 3600 is a better CPU.

You can disable cores in BIOS; find something like an Advanced CPU section. But if you think your 2600X has only 6 threads you may have mis-configured MSConfig settings: Open MSConfig, Boot, Advanced Options and clear the Number of Processors check box.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY