[SOLVED] Question about CPU Stepping

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
I have a dumb question about CPU stepping ( for example i7 3770K E4) and how does it affect motherboards. Will any cpu stepping version work for my motherboard or will i need to search online and see what stepping version of the cpu i'm trying to get (which is the 3770) is supported by it?? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
I have a question about CPU stepping ( for example i7 3770K E4) and how does it affect motherboards. Will any cpu stepping version work for my motherboard or will i need to search online and see what stepping version of the cpu i'm trying to get (which is the 3770) is supported by it?? Thanks in advance

If by stepping you mean replacing CPUs, then you can easily look that up. All cpus have a certain socket, meaning the physical connecter where the cpu connects with the motherboard. Intel likes changing these a lot, and every time the socket changes, so does the motherboard. Your current motherboard should have a chipset name, such as Z170 or B360. Look up that chipset name, then it should tell you what socket said chipset uses...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I have a question about CPU stepping ( for example i7 3770K E4) and how does it affect motherboards. Will any cpu stepping version work for my motherboard or will i need to search online and see what stepping version of the cpu i'm trying to get (which is the 3770) is supported by it?? Thanks in advance

If by stepping you mean replacing CPUs, then you can easily look that up. All cpus have a certain socket, meaning the physical connecter where the cpu connects with the motherboard. Intel likes changing these a lot, and every time the socket changes, so does the motherboard. Your current motherboard should have a chipset name, such as Z170 or B360. Look up that chipset name, then it should tell you what socket said chipset uses. The i7 3770 uses a socket LGA-1155, so if your motherboard also uses that socket, then you should be fine upgrading.

Another thing to take note of is BIOS updates, because sometimes a motherboard will be released before the CPU you are using is, so the manufacturer doesn't give the motherboard instructions for how to run the CPU. Look it up on google, it's pretty easy to do as long as you have a flash drive.

Solution

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
If by stepping you mean replacing CPUs, then you can easily look that up. All cpus have a certain socket, meaning the physical connecter where the cpu connects with the motherboard. Intel likes changing these a lot, and every time the socket changes, so does the motherboard. Your current motherboard should have a chipset name, such as Z170 or B360. Look up that chipset name, then it should tell you what socket said chipset uses. The i7 3770 uses a socket LGA-1155, so if your motherboard also uses that socket, then you should be fine upgrading.

Another thing to take note of is BIOS updates, because sometimes a motherboard will be released before the CPU you are using is, so the manufacturer doesn't give the motherboard instructions for how to run the CPU. Look it up on google, it's pretty easy to do as long as you have a flash drive.
Thanks for the reply. This was the confirmation i needed. As for the BIOS part of your comment i probably will be needing to update my BIOS but i think that's easy should be too complicated

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Thanks for the reply. This was the confirmation i needed. As for the BIOS part of your comment i probably will be needing to update my BIOS but i think that's easy should be too complicated

Yep no problem! BIOS updating is really easy, just go to the motherboard website and download the latest BIOS onto a flash drive, then enter the BIOS and update it through drive.

Latest posts