Question about CPU temperature min and max

Nomv

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
This is the result of my comp temperature

I noticed that the minimum temperature for the cores are around 66 celcius. Yet I've been told that when a CPU reached over 70C, that is considered to be overheat. Though if you look at mine, my comp is running at 80C !??

Any feedback would be appreciate :( ty.

Solution
Check if the CPU cooler is properly seated. I suspect that is either that or a lack of/poorly applied thermal paste. It is impossible to have that kind of minimum temperatures with 1.213v, sure it can reach 90+ when the system is stressed but 66 as minimum? No way.

Worst case scenario, the CPU IHS suffered some acident and is not in proper contact with CPU, in that case RMA the CPU.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
60-90C° is very high for your CPU.

What tasks are you doing on your computer?
Is your CPU overclocked?
Do you have a good enough CPU cooler that is properly installed onto the CPU, with the heatsink touching the CPU?
Has thermal paste been applied to help the cooler?

Nomv

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014

I recently upgraded my graphic card.
That was the temperature taken while I was playing game.
I have not touch my CPU for a long time now, CPU is not overclocked.

If 60C is considered high for a CPU, why does the software said the minimum temp is around 66C?

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Check if the CPU cooler is properly seated. I suspect that is either that or a lack of/poorly applied thermal paste. It is impossible to have that kind of minimum temperatures with 1.213v, sure it can reach 90+ when the system is stressed but 66 as minimum? No way.

Worst case scenario, the CPU IHS suffered some acident and is not in proper contact with CPU, in that case RMA the CPU.

Solution

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017

The software is saying that the minimum temp that it recorded of your CPU was 66C°.

As @herrwizo and @blacknemesist said, check the CPU cooler and thermal paste, and make sure your case has good airflow.

Hoetan: It is an none (k) CPU ergo he cant OC it.

Tj Max for the i7 4790 is 100C.
Alot of people are a bit misinformed when it comes to max temps on a given CPU.

They look at intels info sheet for the CPU.
Here is yours:
https://ark.intel.com/products/80806/Intel-Core-i7-4790-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
and if you click on Package Specifications and you read like most the Tcase tempratures... that reads 72,72°C.

Tcase is tempratures on the IHS ( Integrated Heat Spreader ) and NOT the tempratures on the CPU core itself called TjMax.

Your i7-4790 has an TjMax @ 100°C and will not thermal throttle before it reatch that. But it is adviced to not go past 80-85°C on any given CPU.

For a mutch better understanding about CPU`s and temps I would recommend you read this guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017

AH yes sorry, misread that.

Max temp allowed by datasheet is one thing, trying to keep your processor alive for longer time is another.
The procs can go up to 100'C, but try to keep it max 80-85'c.
I am even trying not to touch 70'C, although sometimes I just can not avoid (without spending too much for cooling solution). This is why most of my procs lived quite long, even my Q6600 @3GHz is still alive and kicking since Nov 2007.
Try to keep it as cool as you can!

Nomv

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014

Actually, it is just as you said, this is a case of poorly applied thermal paste. I opened my comp and reapplied new thermal paste, and now my cpu is read around 57-60C instead of 80C. Thank you all for your help!