Build Advice Question about cpu upgrade

Lutfij

Titan
Assuming you're referring to a motherboard's BIOS, often times you see instability issues or your motherboard maker releases an update to counter a security threat. In other instances, BIOS updates are issued to allow for a processor upgrade path into the future. What are the specs to your build and why do you think you need an upgrade??

USAFRet

Titan
How would i know i if need to update my bios. wanting to upgrade my pc ?
You cross reference what new part you wish to buy, against what the current BIOS is.

You do this BEFORE buying any parts.
And if a BIOS update is needed, you do it exactly how the manufacturer states. Often, there are intermediate things that need to be updated, before you can go to the most recent.

Dec 2, 2021
Assuming you're referring to a motherboard's BIOS, often times you see instability issues or your motherboard maker releases an update to counter a security threat. In other instances, BIOS updates are issued to allow for a processor upgrade path into the future. What are the specs to your build and why do you think you need an upgrade??
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60G 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Brand: EVGA
4.7 out of 5 stars252Reviews
EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 XC Gaming
8GB GDDR6
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Kingston 480GB A400 SATA 3 2.5 inch Internal SSD

Last edited by a moderator:

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
First you need to see what your current BIOS version is. You can find this in the command prompt using the following command: wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

Your most recent BIOS version for your MoBo is: 7B86vHE if you don't have that then you can update from the manufacturer website. MSI has easy BIOS tools.

Lutfij

Titan
Alright, that takes care of the specs! What would you like to upgrade on your platform, how much do you have at your disposal for your upgrade + where are you located? Is your system used primarily for gaming? Include the titles that you game on your system.

Dec 2, 2021
Alright, that takes care of the specs! What would you like to upgrade on your platform, how much do you have at your disposal for your upgrade + where are you located? Is your system used primarily for gaming? Include the titles that you game on your system.

I want to upgrade my ryzen 5 2400g. Was thinking to a Ryzen 7 5700g. i live in canada and mostly play farming simulator and budget under $400 and would go good with my rtx 3050 ?

I don't know if you can edit the text of your post header.
But, you will get more and better answers if you could post a better hint of your issue.

For a sim, the cpu is, indeed likely the more important characteristic of the pc.
In particular, the single thread performance.
As a quick test, run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
It should be about 331 for a 5400G:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/3adp6j
The 5700g would be a big boost close to double.
Since you have a discrete graphics card, there is no need to pay extra for integrated graphics. You might find a similarly performing 5600X for a better price.
Your current bios level will be shown by cpu-Z.
Most of the time, the only reason to update a bios is to support a new gen processor.

logainofhades

Titan
I want to upgrade my ryzen 5 2400g. Was thinking to a Ryzen 7 5700g. i live in canada and mostly play farming simulator and budget under $400 and would go good with my rtx 3050 ?

Since you have a GPU, there is little point in getting the 5700g, unless you want the integrated graphics, in case your GPU dies. A 5700x would be a better choice, though it could be argued, for what you are playing, an R5 5600 is plenty.

TRENDING THREADS