[SOLVED] Question about CPUs, GPUs and Video Games

Aug 12, 2020
Several years ago, I built a pc to play CS:GO. I have been told that CS:GO is CPU intensive. This is the build I have:

Asus z-87a
Intel I5-4460 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI
Acer 144 Hz Monitor

It is a budget pc. I cannot upgrade everything.

Reason for this post (and long story short): I played a match yesterday. At the end of a round, a player was saving a gun and running down a straight hallway. I jumped out of a window into the fire he had set while I was in the air and fired 6-8 bullets at him - he was running straight, I was standing still. It turns out he had 8hp when I started firing. I have been LEM in CS:GO matchmaking. I was playing on 128 tick servers. I cannot find any other explanation other than my computer not being able to handle the fire, resulting in an FPS drop.

TL;DR - I believe the CPU should be sufficient for CS:GO. Will a new graphics card help ensure better hit registration? If so, what kind of card is a good upgrade for me? If not, what can help?

Solution
Answer: I got a graphics card and went from 15 frags per game to 25. Yes, the graphics card made a huge difference.

...the hit registration is still weak. I should be at 40 frags. The CPU cannot register everything. It must be upgraded to reach my potential. That will likely require a new mobo and possibly a power supply (plus an SSD is a good idea). :(
Aug 12, 2020
Answer: I got a graphics card and went from 15 frags per game to 25. Yes, the graphics card made a huge difference.

...the hit registration is still weak. I should be at 40 frags. The CPU cannot register everything. It must be upgraded to reach my potential. That will likely require a new mobo and possibly a power supply (plus an SSD is a good idea). :(

Solution