Question Question about Degrading Laptop Battery

rjcook1985

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Here's the scenario - I sold a laptop, that was in perfect working order when it shipped. The buyer, after receiving it, claimed the battery had a defect and was draining too quickly. They sent me a battery report (see here - View: https://imgur.com/DkNS2zu
)

From what they sent me, you will see the battery doesn't start to degrade quickly until 2020-01-05... the day it arrived via FedEx to them (I have the signature confirmation).

So here's my case... they are misusing it somehow (drawing too much power?) and I did not sell them a faulty product. Am I off base here, or how should I approach this?

Thanks for your time everyone.

rjcook1985

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
@Diddly - Possible. I don't know if they were drawing too much power from an outlet or what. As a goodwill gesture, I did offer to pay for a battery replacement (they actually lived near a certified repair center), but they decided to be difficult and claim they were quoted 200 for the repair, when it actually only cost 150.

@sizzling - They are using the charger that came with the unit when I bought it brand new in summer 2018. Not sure what conditions they were operating it under - I had factory reset the unit before sending it to them.

Batteries, new from the vendor have a 1 year warranty. This is a used laptop they bought, so even if the battery is having issues it has nothing to do with you. If this laptop is a Dell, they have battery issues with a huge amount of laptops I have from them at work, some models have an almost 100% battery failure rate, some have issues new out of the box, many fail in a year or two.

People buy used laptops to save money, it's a gamble vs new and new warranty and used with possible issues coming up sooner. If the buyer wanted a warranty for the parts they should have bought a new system. When I sell used parts I don't warranty anything unless the laptop vendor has it in warranty for the same amount of time. The battery draining here after they had it is on them not you.

Reactions: rjcook1985

rjcook1985

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
@hang-the-9 Thanks for the input, this is where I'm at with it. I offered a courtesy despite it not being my issue, and I did absolutely mark the laptop as used when I sold it. It's an ASUS Zephyrus M by the way, which was noted for it's poor battery life to begin with.

I just don't see how it could've degraded so quickly unless they misused it somehow, since it left me in perfect working order. Unless it got intercepted at the post office by someone who played RDR2 on it for 48 hours straight. Sigh, now I get to have fun dealing with ebay on this.

Thanks for the help folks.