[SOLVED] Question about deleting files in System 32

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
I've got this annoying thing called "Status Monitor for Kodak AiO Printers" in my taskbar. I don't have a Kodak printer, and I want to get rid of this.

But I'm having trouble uninstalling it. It doesn't show up in my Control Panel programs for uninstalling, and searching my C: drive for "kodak" doesn't result in anything relevant.

But if I open Task Manager, I can right-click the "Status Monitor for Kodak AiO Printers" task and open file location. It takes me to an executable file in my System 32. It's got a funky name, and there are other files like .dll and .ini with similar names and creation time.

Which files should I delete? I don't want to cause a system crash.

View: https://imgur.com/a/rJJ4VhV

Solution
it might have been installed in error by windows.

Look in Settings/devices/printers
anything unusual showing in here?
you can click on devices and remove them here.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
In a situation like this using a utility such as Revo Uninstaller is a much wiser choice than DIY deleting.

I'd suggest you try that, first. The risks of disaster, provided you're very specific about what you're uninstalling (and in this case you can be very specific), are just so much lower using a tool meant for this purpose.

By the way, I will presume you have an external backup drive and take regular cyclic full system image backups. You should take one of these before doing this removal, because you could need it to restore from. Also, if System Protection is enabled also take an intentional Restore Point before doing so as well. Take the system image backup after having done the Restore Point.

Reactions: Wheel in the Sky

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
it might have been installed in error by windows.

Look in Settings/devices/printers
anything unusual showing in here?
you can click on devices and remove them here.
Good call, I see it there and I used the option to remove it. I'm still seeing it in my task bar and in Task Manager even though it is gone from Settings/devices/printers . I'll restart the computer once I get a chance, and see if it's gone.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you don't have a printer, I set my default to print to PDF and that might stop windows grabbing it again.

I used to find WIndows download printer drivers for mums printer, on my PC, but it is not really on the network, just on her PC.

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
if you don't have a printer, I set my default to print to PDF and that might stop windows grabbing it again.

I used to find WIndows download printer drivers for mums printer, on my PC, but it is not really on the network, just on her PC.
Actually it disappeared from Task Manager and my task bar as well. I guess it just needed a few minutes. So I'm good to go. Thanks for the extra tips, and thanks to all who answered.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just for my own edification, and that of future readers, was there never a Kodak device in use on this computer at all?

It would be really, really odd to have that software at all unless it was a vestige left behind by a device no longer in actual use and no longer connected, but still present in Devices and Printers.

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
Just for my own edification, and that of future readers, was there never a Kodak device in use on this computer at all?

It would be really, really odd to have that software at all unless it was a vestige left behind by a device no longer in actual use and no longer connected, but still present in Devices and Printers.
No, I've never had a Kodak printer. I have no idea how it got on my computer. Maybe Windows got confused when I switched from an HP inkjet to a Dell laser printer. All I can figure is what Colif said, Windows installed it by mistake.