Question about digital entitlement

Grand Delta

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
My current PC has Windows 10 Pro, which is a free upgrade (known as digital entitlement) from a Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) version. Now, the thing is, I've been thinking on doing a downgrade back to w7 because of certain compatibility issues, but my hardware doesn't have the sticker that shows the OEM license. I have a Samsung laptop, so I have a recovery CD with the default OS. I'm not sure on formatting because of any possible loose of the license key. Once I tried formatting on another Samsung laptop with his respective disk and it not only installed the OS, but also, made pre-validated with the OEM license. Back then I downgraded from w8.

Now I'm not sure if it will work, so I've decided to come here and ask about it, because I don't want to buy a new license key. Please, I want to know if the digital entitlement holds or inherits the same key from the previous OS installed in the computer. Does it inherits?

Solution
There are 2 differences between the Win 10 upgrade and upgrading from 7 to 8.

The main one is how you pay. Every other upgrade to a new version of Windows before now cost you money up front. To go from win 7 to 8 cost a certain amount of cash, whereas with Win 10, the cost was your previous licence is converted into a win 10 licence. Virtually free.

Windows 10 isn't free to all, but its a much less painless upgrade for most people, who don't want to go back to previous version. So 99% of users

The other difference is tied into first, its your licence. In previous upgrades you get to keep old licence as you had to buy a new one to get a new version of windows. Windows 10 probably only applies that to enterprise versions, and retail...

Colif

Win 11 Master
how long ago did you upgrade? If you only upgraded to win 7 in last few weeks then you can reinstall win 7 and use that licence.

If you upgraded over a month ago that win 7 licence became a Win 10 licence at the one month anniversary, at the same time as Windows.old was deleted. If you want win 7 now you have to buy a new licence.

Grand Delta

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Certainly the windows.old was deleted. So, you say that the license that I found in my pc (through .vbs) is not a windows 7 LK anymore because it was replaced with a windows 10's instead? Hmmm... That's surely a problem.

And what about trying to reinstall using the backup disk? Long ago I had another Samsung laptop that someone upgraded to w8 Pro and patched it (no license), then I tried using that disk and after the OS was replaced, the PC got his default system pre-activated with license, which was a Windows 7 Home Basic (x64).

I read somewhere that the OEM key is embedded to the BIOS, so the recovery disk will recognize it. when installing the default OS. I don't know, may it be?

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are 2 differences between the Win 10 upgrade and upgrading from 7 to 8.

The main one is how you pay. Every other upgrade to a new version of Windows before now cost you money up front. To go from win 7 to 8 cost a certain amount of cash, whereas with Win 10, the cost was your previous licence is converted into a win 10 licence. Virtually free.

Windows 10 isn't free to all, but its a much less painless upgrade for most people, who don't want to go back to previous version. So 99% of users

The other difference is tied into first, its your licence. In previous upgrades you get to keep old licence as you had to buy a new one to get a new version of windows. Windows 10 probably only applies that to enterprise versions, and retail copies of the other varieties of Windows (Home/Pro/Educational). Everyone else using Win 10 doesn't really have a licence on their PC anymore if, their right to have windows 10 is based on their machine id and some recording of their previous win 7/8 licence that proves they are legit owners of a licence. Its all on a Microsoft database now so you don't need to know what it is anymore.

With the way the win 10 free upgrade worked, your win 7 key automatically became a win 10 key as soon as you had it for a month. If you try to use the win 7 key now on a fresh install of Windows 7, it will not work. Your licence changing was part of the deal of getting win 10 free.

Solution