Question about disk cloning

John Seitz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
My question if someone can help me is this. In my computer I have 3 hard drives. 1 ssd for windows 7 and main programs that require speed and such. My second drive and third drive a just regular mechanical.

My second drive is where I store other running programs that dont get used much along with pictures music my documents whatever. It's all linked in to windows user file. I do this to not clutter up the c drive.

Hope you're still with me lol. Ok I want to upgrade my second drive (the d drive) to a 2 tb drive. My question is can I clone my current d drive to the new one shut off the computer swap them out and have absolutely no change or interference with the operating system? I'm worried about the naming issue of the drive messing up during the first boot and breaking links and shortcuts and whatnot.

I'm assuming cloning this disk is the best way to achieve what im asking. But just looking for advice if there is anything wrong with this idea or anyone with experience.

Thanks

Solution
John:
There shouldn't be any issues/problems arising from the disk-cloning operation. I assume you will properly use the d-c program, ensuring that the source drive (your current secondary HDD) and the destination drive (the 2 TB HDD) are properly identified during the d-c operation. Again, following the successful d-c operation ensure the newly-cloned 2 TB HDD bears the D: drive assignment letter.
There's no problem with your intentions. Obviously the new 2 TB secondary HDD will have sufficient disk-space to accommodate the TOTAL data contents of your D: HDD, right? Right?
(Whenever you raise a query re disk-cloning always state the total disk-space capacity of the drives invoLved, i.e., the source & destination drives as well as the TOTAL data contents contained on the source drive.)

We're assuming your D: drive does NOT contain an OS.

Following the disk-cloning operation, after you install the newly-cloned 2 TB secondary HDD, check Disk Management to ensure that drive bears the same D: drive letter of the source HDD.

John Seitz

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Yes the current hdd is a 1tb and no operating system. It's just basically for storage to relieve the space of the ssd that I use for operating system on the c drive. Also have some games that don't require too much disk speed to load. My only concern was like previously stated was I linked a lot of folders and smaller programs to this d drive. I've never had the opportunity to clone a disk before but I just wanted to make sure that what I was going to do wasn't going to cause issues

John:
There shouldn't be any issues/problems arising from the disk-cloning operation. I assume you will properly use the d-c program, ensuring that the source drive (your current secondary HDD) and the destination drive (the 2 TB HDD) are properly identified during the d-c operation. Again, following the successful d-c operation ensure the newly-cloned 2 TB HDD bears the D: drive assignment letter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS