[SOLVED] Question about disk cloning

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
One thing is not clear to me:

if the disk to be cloned is 500GB, the space occupied is 150GB, can a 250GB target disk be used?

Will the result be a 250GB final drive with 150 occupied and 100GB free usable?

I have used Macrium Reflect in the past, which I know allows you to change the end size of the partition you are going to mirror. For example, you would create a new partition on the 500GB drive that the data will copy to. You can select, through Macrium, that you want the 250GB Partition to be expanded to (whatever size you want), during the mirror process.

One thing is not clear to me:

if the disk to be cloned is 500GB, the space occupied is 150GB, can a 250GB target disk be used?

Will the result be a 250GB final drive with 150 occupied and 100GB free usable?
It will be usable but it will not have any boot info on it so if it is a boot drive you can not just switch them and be done,you will have to "repair" or by some other means write a boot block and create a BCDstore on that disk.

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
I cloned with Macrium Reflect and if I start the cloned SSD (both by selecting it as a priority in the bios and by starting it alone connected) (I specify that it is a bios of an Asus P5GCMX MB so I don't think they are problems related to UEFI) it gives me as message at startup "Reboot and select proper boot device".
I tried to select "mark as active partition" from disk management and now it gives me as message at startup "BOOTMGR is missing"