[SOLVED] Question about DisplayPort to HDMI Cable for new GPU

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
I'm about to hit the buy button on a new GPU but it only has 1 HDMI port. I have 2 monitors and they only have HDMI ports and DisplayPort slots.

I'm wondering what the best option is (What's cheapest, is there any drawback to getting any of these)...should I get:

• A DisplayPort to HDMI converter? <- This seems the cheapest and I have plenty of HDMI cables
  • A Brand New DisplayPort Cable? <- This seems a tad more expensive
  • A HDMI Splitter? <- I'm not even sure that would work
So yeah, which one is the best option?

And also, whichever one is the best option, is there "Best brand / cord / splitter / converter / etc" that I should buy for whatever reason? If there is, I wouldn't mind spending up to 20$ for it.

Thanks.

Solution
If your monitor(s) support DP in addition to HDMI, then a straight DP to DP cable would be the best route to go.

Second to that, is a basic DP to HDMI adapter. There's nothing to 'convert', they're both digital signals...... even a single DP to HDMI cable should work just fine.

An HDMI "splitter" will only duplicate what you see on screen (like in a bar, where multiple TVs show the same output) - and is not fit for purpose here.

All ~$9 spends.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If your monitor(s) support DP in addition to HDMI, then a straight DP to DP cable would be the best route to go.

Second to that, is a basic DP to HDMI adapter. There's nothing to 'convert', they're both digital signals...... even a single DP to HDMI cable should work just fine.

An HDMI "splitter" will only duplicate what you see on screen (like in a bar, where multiple TVs show the same output) - and is not fit for purpose here.

All ~$9 spends.

Solution