Question about Dual Channel

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw (2x2GB) 1333 F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

Mobo Manual: ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/870%20Extreme3.pdf

According to the manual, to enable Dual Channel, they need to both be in the blue slots (A1,B1).
When placed in both blue (A1,B1), no boot, no video.
When placed in both white (A2.B2) no boot, no video.
When placed in Blue/White (A1,A2) successful boot.

Is it Dual Channel mode when in A1/A2 or not? If not, is it a bad motherboard or is there some other trick?
I know I need to set the timing, but if I can't get video or past POST in order to set timings when in A1/B1.

D3: If memory sizing module not executed, start memory refresh and do memory sizing in Bootblock code. Do additional chipset intialization. Re-enable CACHE. Verify that flat mode is enabled.

(1) If memory in A1/A2, should be in single channel mode. You can conferm this by downloading CPUID CPU-Z and runing it.

(2) First, I would download the ISO for Memtest86 and create a bootable CD. Run Memtest 86 on one module (in A1) slot, then try 2nd module in A1 slot.
2nd - If mem passes, then try one (or both) sticks in B1 slot (may need to check if system SHOULD boot with only one module in B1 slot.

You might try puting just the one mem module in A1. Go into bios and tell it to use profile 1. Then try with both A1/B1 poulated.

If both memory modules pass memtest, Using slot A1, I would suspect a MB issue.

First, I'm a Gigabyte/Intel fan. Have NO experience with Asrock MB/Bios.

Basically - ONly verify/set Dimm voltage to 1.5 V
(2) only set the first 4 parameters in memory (8,8,8,24), leaving others on auto.
(3) use defalut setting of Unganged.

I see nothing in the manual on beeing able to set XMP to use profile 1. This is where the bios reads what is stored on the memory module to Profile 1). There are normally several sets of settings in the memory modules - You can view them using CPUID-CPU-Z.

Hopefully one of the AMD/Asrock fans can help you out more!!

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

I'm going to assume the following is what I need to change, but asking before I go ahead and make the change.

Memory Controller Unganged
Power Down Enabled Disabled What's this?
Bank Interleaving Auto What's this?
Channel Interleaving HASH2 What's this?

CAS Latency (CL) 9 Auto
TRCD 9 Auto
TRP 9 Auto
TRAS 24 Auto

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
are you sure it's not the CPU's memory controller?

The dual channel memory should be recognized by both the motherboard AND the CPU. You should take the above advice first and check that each stick is working properly by running memtest86. If that does work then your ram should be fine and it's between the CPU and Mobo.

You may want to run a prime95 on your CPU to check whether the memory controller is working or not. But frankly, i'm not sure prime95 can even check that.

EDIT: try changing the unganged to ganged. Shut down the PC and then boot with the ram in the proper dual channel positions. It seems the ganged v unganged may be causing your problem.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Change your settings in the BIOS from unganged > ganged. Do this with single channel mode that's been working. After you have it changed, turn the PC off, put the ram in the proper dual channel slots and boot it up. If this doesn't work then yea, i'd run prime95 on the sticks and see if they're the culprit.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Should I change the BIOS memory timings as well?

According to the GSkill website seems that they highly recommend doing so to match the sticks.

Do I just do the 4 items above or are there any other settings I need to change?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Well, first and foremost you should get them working in Dual channel (probably by changing from unganged > ganged) before you start working with the timings. You should, though, set the DRAM voltage to 1.5v. Once you have that accomplished then you can fiddle with the timings.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Have you flashed the bios?

The newest BIOS update should allow everything from 1.48v to upwards of 2.0v.

can you take pictures and show me where you're setting the voltage? also, are your sticks running in dual channel now?

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
When both in blue slot I don't get video or POST beeps
When in one blue, one white, I get the usual one beep and it boots up.

These are the codes I get along with their meanings.
D1 - Perform keyboard controller BAT test. Check if waking up from power management suspend state. Save power-on CPUID value in scratch CMOS.

D3 - If memory sizing module not executed, start memory refresh and do memory sizing in Bootblock code. Do additional chipset intialization. Re-enable CACHE. Verify that flat mode is enabled.

C7 - Early CPU init Exit

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Was all this after changing the unganged > ganged? What i mean is, entering bios > changing unganged > ganged. Then turning it off, replacing the sticks to blue/blue or white/white then booting up? If so...

Can you clear the CMOS on your motherboard? This should set the BIOS settings to default. These wacky settings should not be appearing on first boot up.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I looked on google as well. there are two clear cmos switches.

One on the back where the I/O panel is.
Other is on the Mobo.

I will do the I/O panel one.

After I clear CMOS, do you want me to put both sticks in the blue/blue or white/white slot?

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Alright, test completed.
Blue/Blue get the three errors above
White/White I get 2 other errors
D5 and D0
Don't know their meaning. American Megatrends is the BIOS

In either case, no beep, no POST, no video.

EDIT2:
I have 20 minutes left to do any troubleshooting, after that it'll have to wait until I get home from work.
Current time 840pm CST (-6 GMT)
I get home around 7am CST.

Will try and troubleshoot until last minute.

Also, I have 1.60 for my BIOS, and the ASRock website's latest version is 1.60 as well.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like your ram may be funky. I'd send it back for an RMA.

http://gskill.us/forum/archive/index.php?t-6466.html

that thread may help you out some. May want to post a thread on the gskill forums as well and see what happens. It's very strange that you can't change the voltage to a lower setting on that board. BTW, which CPU are you using?

There is the method of using 1 stick at a time to see how each one responds. Put one stick in each slot, see what you get and if you're able to change the settings and memtest86'ing each stick this way until finally setting them both in.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
AMD 955 BE.

I'm waiting for their admin to activate my account, until then can't post on GSkill's website.

Will read that post as well.

Any other suggestions? Do you think the RAM is bad even though all 4GB is being read in single channel?

EDIT:
Missed your edit.

You are suggesting that I run 1 stick in A1, run memtest, repeat in slots B1, A2, and B2? Then repeat for stick 2?