Question about dual channel

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I want to buy 2 memory modules for my dual channel mother board.
Is there any difference between the two?

2 X KINGSTON - DDR II 512MB, PC5300, 667 MHz

and

KINGSTON - DDR II 1GB, PC5300, 667 MHz, Dual Channel Kit 2 module 512MB

Does it make any difference if it says Dual Channel on the kit?
I mean i can use two ordanary DIMMS and they will work in dual channel, it doesn't have to say dual chann in the memory spec, right?

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
As far as i know dont quote me on this but it does not have to say dual channel they will still work. Its just they might be incompatible or somthing, ive never bought 2sticks that didnt say dual channel.

I think that if you buy them as a kit (KINGSTON - DDR II 1GB, PC5300, 667 MHz, Dual Channel Kit 2 module 512MB) then the modules should be matched and assured to work as a pair, but if you buy them separately they may not be from the same batch and even if they are they might still not play well together, thats my understanding of the reason for having the kits, if anyone knows different please feel free to jump in.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
No it doesn't make any difference if the package says dual or not. If you're buying them DDR2 kit of two modules/pair, it should work dual channel in your mobo. From the look of it both are the same.

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I think that if you buy them as a kit (KINGSTON - DDR II 1GB, PC5300, 667 MHz, Dual Channel Kit 2 module 512MB) then the modules should be matched and assured to work as a pair, but if you buy them separately they may not be from the same batch and even if they are they might still not play well together, thats my understanding of the reason for having the kits, if anyone knows different please feel free to jump in.

I think you're right. I've been told that in order for dual channel to work, the modules need to be the same size and same speed. If you buy a matched pair, you're guaranteed the same size and speed. If you go with 2 separate modules that are the same rating, you could end up with enough of a difference where dual channel wouldn't work. I have 2 512MB sticks of Ultra that I bought 4 months apart and they're close enough for dual channel.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
No it doesn't make any difference if the package says dual or not. If you're buying them DDR2 kit of two modules/pair, it should work dual channel in your mobo. From the look of it both are the same.
Kingston does market some RAM as "Not Dual Channel compatible" but its complete BS. I think this is the reason for the large amount of people saying that their memory is "dual channel" when in actuality the dual channel capabilities are on the motherboard.

In theory a matched pair is the best - same batch, good deal. But I find that you can mix and match modules, as long as they are the same speed and capacity. I think a matched pair is probably the best if you're going to overclock, etc. But if you're running at specified speeds, you can mix and match with less problems.

If your board has 3 slots, dual channel can work if you populate the slots correctly. Like my Asus A7N board has 2-128MB and 1-256MB for dual channel capabilities.

EDIT: here is picture showing Kingston's sticker stating the RAM is "Not Dual-Channel compatible". Enlarge the pic and read the 'circular' sticker they have on the packaging.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141469

tqm

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I've been wondering the same when trying to find out if these RAM modules are compatible with an Asus P5B motherboard. As these RAM modules are not listed officially on Asus' Qualified Vendors List, I went to Kingston's website where they are listed as being compatible with the motherboard.

Info about the RAM modules you listed can be found at the following URLs: KVR667D2N5/512 and KVR667D2N5K2/1G

They pretty much look the same on the datasheets as far as I can see, although Kingston says: "MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode. Kingston offers "K2" Kit part numbers for Dual Channel mode.".

Well, as I intend to buy two RAM modules anyway, I am going to play it safe and simply order a kit of two modules.

Also, I intend to buy another pair of the same kind of RAM modules at a later time, but I am somewhat unsure if I can run the two pairs in dual-channel mode on a P5B. :|

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Also, I intend to buy another pair of the same kind of RAM modules at a later time, but I am somewhat unsure if I can run the two pairs in dual-channel mode on a P5B. :|
Should be able to. However your overclocking results may decrease because of the additional memory modules. (If you're even oc'ing) But it should be able to run as specified at whatever speed (533 or whatever).

Memory isn't dual channel, the motherboard is. RAM should work at specified speeds no matter if they're bought in pairs or singles.

I find that Kingston is pushing this in their marketing to cast doubt in the buyer's mind and possibly force them to buy a more expensive 'kit' or module.

The only reason I see that they do that is because of low-density memory and high-density memory. Double sided and Single sided.. ugh. Needless to say, its a big mess to explain. Here's a link on it:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=75262

I usually tell people to use a memory configuration tool, like at crucial.com to find out what memory specs they should look for. Don't have to buy it at crucial (not a bad company btw) but its good to get the specs for compatible RAM.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Um crucial may not be bad but there 2-2-2-5 rated ballistx had less bandwidth in sandrasoft then the ocz gold series in 2-2-2-5.

So yeah i would say if u have a choice go with the ocz highend memory.

Ive ownd bolth dual channel kits and the ocz runs faster.