Question about e6400 and gigabyte motherboard

MasterYoda042

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Hi, I just got my computer parts about a week ago to build my system. After getting everything ready to go, I switched it on for the first time and nothing happened. No beeps, no images, just the fans spinning. I am running a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard with Conroe e6400, and Corsair XMS2 2GB pc2 6400 ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590) (video card is a MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD). All this is running off of an apevia 500watt psu. After pulling everything but the processor and the mobo i tried again and still nothing.

I figured the motherboard was probably defective and so I sent it back to newegg for an exchange. Just got it back today and still the same problem. I have since called gigabyte and they came to the conclusion the processor is bad. I have called intel and they are saying the motherboard is the wrong revision (mine's 1.0 and they say it should be 1.01). So i am currently waiting on a call back from gigabyte to confirm, but i doubt that is it. What do you guys think the problem is? I have read that the RAM may need to be a kind specifically supported by the motherboard so you can boot it up and adjust the bios in order to put the good ram in. However I am not sure that is the case. Do you guys (or girls) have any ideas? Thanks!

--Josh

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I'd tend to think it might be one of a couple of things.

1) a possible short in your case; try bench testing the mobo on a non-conductive surface and see if it will boot that way.

2) Defective CPU, the fact that nothing comes on, no beep codes or anything else sounds either like an improperly seated CPU or a just plain defective CPU.

Intel telling you that the board is the wrong PCB version is utter trash; the DQ6 is built with a 965P chipset which is designed specifically with conroe in mind . . .

welcome to the bleeding edge.

MasterYoda042

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Yeah thanks for the tips. I tested it on a non-conductive surface and had the same results. But I finally got back ahold of gigabyte and told them what intel told me. To my suprise (and their's) apparently the board revision was unsupported. (apparently their tech guys hadn't upgraded something on their support to tell their support guys). So I am now ending up with a full refund from newegg (no restocking fee either) after explaining the situation. I'll be buying a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe that will hopefully work. If not...back to the phone. But once again thanks for the reply.

--Josh

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Wow, never would have guessed it was an "unsupported" board . . . so much for the DQ6 advertising "quad core" ready.

Well at least everything is going to work out ok, here's to hoping that Asus is trouble free.