Question about ease of play of some games I have.

Hi,

I bought 6 strategy games for $20 and would like to know which of the
following would be easiest to play for a beginner.

The games are:

1) Europa Universalis 2
2) Europa Universalis 2 Asian Chapters
3) Hearts of Iron
4) Victoria
5) Two Thrones
6) Crown of the North

I am generally poor at playing strategy games so I want as easy a game
as possible from the above so as to avoid discouragement.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Peter

"Peter Kaye" <pkaye@magma.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought 6 strategy games for $20 and would like to know which of the
> following would be easiest to play for a beginner.
>
> The games are:
>
> 1) Europa Universalis 2
> 2) Europa Universalis 2 Asian Chapters
> 3) Hearts of Iron
> 4) Victoria
> 5) Two Thrones
> 6) Crown of the North

In order of increasing difficulty with near equivalents bracketed:
(5 - 6) - (1 - 2) - 3 - 4

Two Thrones and Crown of the North are 'beer and pretzels' versions of their
big brother Europa Universalis. EU2 Asian Chapters is (I think) just EU2 in
a different setting, and the difficulty/micromanagement really ramps up with
Hearts of Iron and especially Victoria.

"Frankie Howerd" <frankiehowerd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Kaye" <pkaye@magma.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought 6 strategy games for $20 and would like to know which of the
>> following would be easiest to play for a beginner.
>>
>> The games are:
>>
>> 1) Europa Universalis 2
>> 2) Europa Universalis 2 Asian Chapters
>> 3) Hearts of Iron
>> 4) Victoria
>> 5) Two Thrones
>> 6) Crown of the North
>
> In order of increasing difficulty with near equivalents bracketed:
> (5 - 6) - (1 - 2) - 3 - 4
>
> Two Thrones and Crown of the North are 'beer and pretzels' versions of
> their big brother Europa Universalis. EU2 Asian Chapters is (I think) just
> EU2 in a different setting, and the difficulty/micromanagement really
> ramps up with Hearts of Iron and especially Victoria.

By the way, I'm assuming this pack didn't come with printed manuals - did
you at least get PDF manuals on the CD?

Peter Kaye <pkaye@magma.invalid> once tried to test me with:

> Hi,
>
> I bought 6 strategy games for $20 and would like to know which of the
> following would be easiest to play for a beginner.
>
> The games are:
>
> 1) Europa Universalis 2
> 2) Europa Universalis 2 Asian Chapters
> 3) Hearts of Iron
> 4) Victoria
> 5) Two Thrones
> 6) Crown of the North
>
> I am generally poor at playing strategy games so I want as easy a game
> as possible from the above so as to avoid discouragement.

Yikes.

I recommend getting:

Heroes of Might & Magic III

or Empire Deluxe for Windows

or Civilization III

or Master of Orion II

Haven't played #'s 3-6 on your list so I can't say about them, but the
Europa Universalis games are pretty hard. From what I've heard about Hearts
of Iron it's not really that beginner-friendly either.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:39:28 -0700, "Frankie Howerd"
<frankiehowerd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Frankie Howerd" <frankiehowerd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter Kaye" <pkaye@magma.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I bought 6 strategy games for $20 and would like to know which of the
>>> following would be easiest to play for a beginner.
>>>
>>> The games are:
>>>
>>> 1) Europa Universalis 2
>>> 2) Europa Universalis 2 Asian Chapters
>>> 3) Hearts of Iron
>>> 4) Victoria
>>> 5) Two Thrones
>>> 6) Crown of the North
>>
>> In order of increasing difficulty with near equivalents bracketed:
>> (5 - 6) - (1 - 2) - 3 - 4
>>
>> Two Thrones and Crown of the North are 'beer and pretzels' versions of
>> their big brother Europa Universalis. EU2 Asian Chapters is (I think) just
>> EU2 in a different setting, and the difficulty/micromanagement really
>> ramps up with Hearts of Iron and especially Victoria.
>
>By the way, I'm assuming this pack didn't come with printed manuals - did
>you at least get PDF manuals on the CD?

Yes PDFs on each of the disks.
Also thanks for the help
Pete