Question Question about ESD and cleaning outside of case ?

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

Wondering about Electro Static Discharge.

I just wiped dust off the rear of the case with my fingers since i didnt want to use a microfiber cloth in case it could charge up electricity.

Is it possible to give it electro static discharge through the ports at the back by having my fingers over usb ports?
I touched the wifi antenna too that have metal screws to connect.

Could it be a risk to touch over the ports at back? Or is it ok since i touched the pc case first to be able to wipe it? In that way any discharge our body have would go out in the first contact with the pc metal case?

It was also connected to the power outlet.

Just want to clear things up and i ment i have heard the case on pc is a good source to touch to discharge yourself?

Appreciate some answers even it could be a strange question maby :)

Hi.

Wonder about electro static discharge.

I just wiped off the rear of the case for dust with my fingers since i didnt want to use a microfiber in case it could charge up electricity.

Wonder if it’s possible to give it electro static discharge trough the ports on the back by having my fingers over usb ports? Toutched the wifi antenna too that have metal screws to connect.

Could it be a risk to toutch over the ports at back? Or is it ok since i toutched the pc case first to be able to wipe it? In that way any discharge our body have would go out in the first contact with the pc metal case?

It was also connected to the power outlet.

Just want to clear things up and i ment i have heard the case on pc is a good source to toutch to discharge yourself?

Appreciate some answers even it could be a strange question maby :)
As long as case is grounded it can take and send to earth quite large/high, as high as a charge that could injure or kill you, It also acts as Faraday's cage protecting everything inside, Only risk is to exposed contacts but even they are protected with surrounding grounded metal although you'd have to specifically target each one with a pointy metal and quite large static charge, far beyond what a simple cloth rag can produce,

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
As long as case is grounded it can take and send to earth quite large/high, as high as a charge that could injure or kill you, It also acts as Faraday's cage protecting everything inside, Only risk is to exposed contacts but even they are protected with surrounding grounded metal although you'd have to specifically target each one with a pointy metal and quite large static charge, far beyond what a simple cloth rag can produce,

Thanks for the information.

I thought a cloath could cause more static so i didnt want to use it, only used my fingers around and over the ports on the back of the case.

But then i come to think about later on that i was in contact with the ports with my fingers and they lead into the motherboard.

The answer to the question as you said the metal pc case work like a grounding point and then one cant really cause electrostatic discharge to the ports, since one toutch metal case before the finger reach the ports, then i understanded you right?

And even if one day you toutch directly to the usb port without be in contact with the case first, then the esd discharge cant damage motherboard etc because of the way it is build?

Thanks for the information.

I thought a cloath could cause more static so i didnt want to use it, only used my fingers around and over the ports on the back of the case.

But then i come to think about later on that i was in contact with the ports with my fingers and they lead into the motherboard.

The answer to the question as you said the metal pc case work like a grounding point and then one cant really cause electrostatic discharge to the ports, since one toutch metal case before the finger reach the ports, then i understanded you right?

And even if one day you toutch directly to the usb port without be in contact with the case first, then the esd discharge cant damage motherboard etc because of the way it is build?
Yes. there are many safeguards built in, parts are quite robust. Whole motherboard and parts connected to it all with a common ground with case and power supply. Electricity always take shortest way to opposite charge. Static electricity discharges leaving very short time to do any eventual damage,
Once a part like CPU. RAM, or GPU are outside of case and not grounded, danger is much higher and should avoid touching any connections with fingers for other reasons too.

Reactions: Kellerman88