Question Question about EVGA warranty policy

Hello, I recently had a computer stop working. I took out the power supply and paperclip tested it. No fan spin. Tried the PSU in another system, wouldn't work.

I left the PSU sit overnight, and in the morning the fan spin. Plugged it into a computer, and it worked.

I would like to RMA this PSU for fear of it being unreliable. It is still under warranty from EVGA.

However, it was an inexpensive Bstock unit, and paying to ship it back might not make sense if it cost nearly as much as the unit did originally.

Does anyone know if EVGA will make you pay return shipping or if a label is provided?

Well, if was a $23 midweek madness deal on a refurbished W1 600w that I threw into a 3200g system without a dgpu. Shipping across the countryside is probably about as much as I paid. Not worth it.

Honestly I could go on a rant how I think I shouldn't have to pay money in order to RMA a product that is faulty to no fault of my own, but it's not worth my time.

Any clue what could have caused this and if you think there is actually an issue with the PSU?

Basically, system worked perfectly fine. I move it to a different part of the house and go to use it the next day. RGB (runs on standby iirc) turns on, but it does absolutely nothing when I press power button. I do some troubleshooting and end up taking the PSU out. I paperclip test it, and the fan wiggles a bit but nothing more. I try again like 5 min later and the fan doesn't turn at all.

I throw a GD600w I had spare into the system. Fires up perfectly.

But out of curiosity I try the w1 600w the next day and the paperclip test produces a fan spin. I throw the w1 into a spare computer and it works fine.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
To me a W1 600w for a 3200g PC is a bit like buying a used Yugo just to drive 50 feet to your mailbox to get your mail every day. Even if it's not great it's still kind of overkill.

No lie, I have bought a BUNCH of the refurbished EVGA 600 "white" edition PSU @$25. I typically use them for office type builds or very low power builds and they have worked very commendably for that purpose. I honestly treat them like they are a 400W unit instead and they have caused no issue there.
I have had two of the units cause Event 41 errors where I had them in systems with an R7 AND a power hungry GPU. In both those units I re-used them in the aforementioned office type builds and they are working great. I keep one of these around as my bench test model for iGPU (read as Intel) units troubleshooting.

IMO there is no point in spending half as much as some repurposed/recycled build cost to put in a "good" PSU. You just have to be mindful of it's real world draw under load.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I test drove a Yugo, brand new in Savannah, GA, back in the day. Reminded me of an old farm truck, even tractor-like in some ways. It was done on a lark and a laugh.

Totally off topic, but...
A friend of mine bought one of these brand new back in high school. It was white with the black and red trimline like (possibly) the larger portion of them were. We went to the mall one day did some fooling around at the GoldMine (an arcade) and left. As we are pulling out of the mall my buddy asks me to throw in a tape, they are in the glove box. I open it, nothing there. He is initially pissed that his tapes got stolen, but then we note someone else's name on the registration inside. We were driving in someone else's car.

We pull back in, the spot that we drove the car from was still open, and realize that his car was a few more spots down the lane. Identical paint, trim, interior. We found out later from the service group that the Yugo released to the US for that year had (4) key combinations.

No lie, I have bought a BUNCH of the refurbished EVGA 600 "white" edition PSU @$25. I typically use them for office type builds or very low power builds and they have worked very commendably for that purpose. I honestly treat them like they are a 400W unit instead and they have caused no issue there.
I have had two of the units cause Event 41 errors where I had them in systems with an R7 AND a power hungry GPU. In both those units I re-used them in the aforementioned office type builds and they are working great. I keep one of these around as my bench test model for iGPU (read as Intel) units troubleshooting.

IMO there is no point in spending half as much as some repurposed/recycled build cost to put in a "good" PSU. You just have to be mindful of it's real world draw under load.
This exactly. Could I buy a $50-75 PSU? Sure.

But it doesn't make much sense for a $300 system that might draw 100w

You can make the argument about spending the money for a superior upgrade path in the future, but really, something like a W1 600w will handle an upgrade to a lower end dgpu like a 1060 just fine. A 3200g isn't going to happily handle much more than a lower end GPU, so any gpu that is a reasonable pairing with a 3200g will likely work on a w1 600w.

Looking at my EVGA order history, I have owned a ton of lower end units and never had an issue untill now.

Bstock sometimes has deals that I would 100% think we're scams if they were anywhere else.

Stuff like an EVGA Z270 ITX motherboard for $20 with free shipping or an EVGA BR450 for $15 with free shipping.

Reactions: punkncat

TRENDING THREADS