[SOLVED] Question about Factory-reset process on a Sony UBP-X700 4K BD Player ?

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I have a question about the factory reset process for my Sony UBP-X700 4K Disc Player. This question is more out of curiosity. I recently troubleshooted my home theater system due to the audio dropping out during playback of 4K Blu Ray discs and some streaming services. With the assistance of technical support, it appeared that the likely cause of my audio issues was a software glitch with my Smart TV. After doing a hard reset of my TV, it appeared to solve the audio dropout issues, but I am still keeping an ear open for possible audio dropout issues since the tech assistance took place recently.

Before I got help with technical support, I did multiple troubleshooting steps which included factory resetting my TV, 4K disc player, and soundbar and switching out 4K HDMI cables. Now, with regard to my 4K disc player, when I factory resetted the player, I followed the steps to reset all settings listed under "Reset to Factory Default Settings." There was also another option located under the reset section listed as "Initialize Personal Information," which erases personal information stored in the player.

Out of curiosity, if I were to factory reset my 4K disc player, for reasons such as troubleshooting playback issues of 4K discs or because I wanted to start fresh with the player, but intended to keep the player (unless there was a major problem with the player), would the "Reset to Factory Default Settings" be all that I need to use? Would "Initialize Personal Information" just remove any of my personal information that is stored on the player and only be useful if I decided to trash, sell, or donate the player, or would it have any additional benefits in terms of settings for the troubleshooting factory reset process?

Also, as a side question, I know that no home theater equipment is perfect. Each device (e.g. TV, soundbar, and Blu ray player) has it own pros and cons when compared to competing devices from other brands within its class or price range (e.g. Samsung vs LG). Now is it common and/or normal that due to reasons such as the build quality and capabilities of processers, chips, and other components and sub-components within the entertainment devices such as TVs, soundbars, and disc players, that there could be audio dropouts or picture freezes that are so brief that you may not catch or notice them unless you have really good eyesight or hearing?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
In most devices, reset to factory default would wipe everything on the device and set it up like it was new out of the box. The personal information would do only your logon info to sites, cached files, bookmarks, etc...

When you did the factory reset did you notice anything that was still saved on there? I would just use that if you are getting rid of the player.

Your last question I am not sure how to answer, most digital and analog audio and video has glitches that are not noticeable by humans. In fact the whole technology of audio and video digitizing and compression relies on exactly that fact by tossing out or changing things we don't notice much or at all. There are also quality differences in equipment that are not...
In most devices, reset to factory default would wipe everything on the device and set it up like it was new out of the box. The personal information would do only your logon info to sites, cached files, bookmarks, etc...

When you did the factory reset did you notice anything that was still saved on there? I would just use that if you are getting rid of the player.

Your last question I am not sure how to answer, most digital and analog audio and video has glitches that are not noticeable by humans. In fact the whole technology of audio and video digitizing and compression relies on exactly that fact by tossing out or changing things we don't notice much or at all. There are also quality differences in equipment that are not noticed by many people, but are by some. Which is why audio is very much a personal preference thing, as well as an experience thing. If you only listened to say 3 different speakers ever, you won't have the experience to really know or understand the differences between speakers, same thing for headphones, amps, DACs, etc... Some people like different sound profiles as well, there is simple or single correct thing for everyone, and what you like now as the best you heard or saw may be changed in a week or may be seen as poor by someone else.

Solution