[SOLVED] Question about formatting one disc and saving data on the other

Sep 22, 2019
Hello,
I have got an SSD with OS installed and second HDD with data. I want to format and reinstall the disc with OS, will I be able to achieve my data from secondary disc afterwards? Should I disconnect the secondary OS during formatting/ reinstallation to preserve the data?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
Data on the secondary disk should be accessible. Programs that are installed on the secondary disk will most likely have to be reinstalled. The programs on the secondary disk use the Windows registry on the OS disk and that registry will have been wiped out by the OS install.
Disconnect the secondary drive when you do the install. That way there is no way you can accidentally format it or have it mess with your clean OS install.

kanewolf

Titan
Data on the secondary disk should be accessible. Programs that are installed on the secondary disk will most likely have to be reinstalled. The programs on the secondary disk use the Windows registry on the OS disk and that registry will have been wiped out by the OS install.
Disconnect the secondary drive when you do the install. That way there is no way you can accidentally format it or have it mess with your clean OS install.

Solution