[SOLVED] Question about formatting Windows 10 OS SSD after Trojan

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I reinstalled Windows 10 after malicious software couldn't be removed. My 2tb SSD with the OS has 501mb unallocated with a 1907.24gb ntfs partition as the primary. Is there any way to merge them? I want to make sure the trojan is gone. I also did a quick format on a large secondary hdd. Is that enough or is a full format necessary?

Solution
I reinstalled Windows 10 after malicious software couldn't be removed. My 2tb SSD with the OS has 501mb unallocated with a 1907.24gb ntfs partition as the primary. Is there any way to merge them? I want to make sure the trojan is gone. I also did a quick format on a large secondary hdd. Is that enough or is a full format necessary?
Are your windows working ?
Which SSD is that ? 501mb unallocated is most likely overprovisioning partitio and if drive was formatted, there should be no data left in it.
Quick format on HDD didn't actually delete anything from disk, all data is still there although indifferent format. Many utilities to actually delete everything like Dban...
Are your windows working ?
Which SSD is that ? 501mb unallocated is most likely overprovisioning partitio and if drive was formatted, there should be no data left in it.
Quick format on HDD didn't actually delete anything from disk, all data is still there although indifferent format. Many utilities to actually delete everything like Dban https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dariks_boot_and_nuke.html that replace every bit with 0s or other data.

Solution

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I did say HDD not SSD. Whe you (re)install windows and choose to delete all partitions, nothing is left from old files, essentially does Diskpart/clean on that drive.
I was going to suggest it but it's easy to make mistake and clean and format wrong drive.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10
When reinstalling Windows, I clicked delete on all partitions of both drives before installing. Do I still need to use dban on the hdd to make sure no viruses remain?