Question question about formatting

Oct 13, 2018
Hey, I want to format my windows 10 PC, but its got virus on it. unfortunately I dont have any other PC/laptop on hand, this is my only PC, and the issue is that when i plug my usb in, just a shortcut appears. I do cmd commands but it resets after i replug it. And I onte again that I only got that virused pc right now. Is there any way to install format media on usb using creation tool, and not spreading virus to it so the format file is good? I think that safemode with internet would do the job, but I want some ideas of you. Thank you !!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the severity of the virus, really.

Not sure if the media creation tool would successfully run safe mode w/networking, but you could try.

While you might not have access to another system directly, perhaps you can find someone locally (a friend etc), or an internet cafe, depending on your location.
Failing that, you could always order one online if you had to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't make an installer using the PC that you suspect is infected. That just doesn't sound safe.

The idea of getting a friend or a PC store to make an installer for you on your USB is probably best

I doubt you can create an installer in safe mode. Even on a working PC. Many of the applets that windows uses in normal mode won't work in safe mode.

is there anything on PC you want to save?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this loads into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Any files you save now will need to be virus scanned before you can install them on new windows, or you may get infected again. I would download something like bitdefender free and use it to scan the files you save now.