_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I'm in the market for a new monitor and the smoothness of g sync is very enticing but I don't really like the idea of fluctuating FPS in games as most are 75hz and above and maintaining that frame rate would be difficult with my hardware. So I was wondering if you cap the frame rate at 60fps with g sync on, would you still get a smooth experience or would it not work as intended?

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I know that but what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be able to run a stable 75 FPS in most modern games but I can hold a pretty solid 60fps, of course you're going to get FPS drops but 60fps seems stable apart from the stutter that you encounter when using vsync

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I know that but what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be able to run a stable 75 FPS in most modern games but I can hold a pretty solid 60fps, of course you're going to get FPS drops but 60fps seems stable apart from the stutter that you encounter when using vsync
Well, this is the idea behind VRR: you don't have stutter nor tearing in the supported range. The advantage of VRR isn't when the GPU can push FPS above max refresh rate, it's when it's below it. What is described is in the middle range of most VRR monitors and where they're at their best. They let you benefit the increase in recativity when the GPU can push more than 60FPS while the game will still feel very smooth even with drops below 60FPS. Unless playing competitive shooters, 30-60 FPS is perfectly smooth and quite enjoyable on a VRR monitor compared to a fixed 60Hz one.

I'm in the market for a new monitor and the smoothness of g sync is very enticing but I don't really like the idea of fluctuating FPS in games as most are 75hz and above and maintaining that frame rate would be difficult with my hardware. So I was wondering if you cap the frame rate at 60fps with g sync on, would you still get a smooth experience or would it not work as intended?
If FPS exceeds the refresh rate of your monitor GSync disables itself.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
sorry for the long reply thanks for the responses, it was a bit of a stupid question but because i haven't tried it I'm still a bit unsure as to what it would feel like in game. Oh that's good, from what I've seen in videos and what I've heard it sounds like it all feels smooth, thanks for clearing that up :)