[SOLVED] Question about gaming monitors

May 11, 2020
So the HP 25x and the Acer Nitro VG240YPbiip have pretty much the same specs with the 2 differences being that the Acer is with an IPS panel and the HP with a TN panel. They both have FreeSync but only the HP is G-Sync compatible and my GPU is 2060. So my question is: Is it worth to sacrifice the IPS panel for G-Sync compatibility or the G-Sync compatibility is not that important and I should buy the one with the better panel (IPS)?

Solution
The Acer is not certified by NVidia to be compatible, but it is reported as a compatible monitor with GForce cards and it works. Buy the Acer, get the IPS colors, and use the Freesync.

You won't get the response of the HP TN panel but unless your a super competitive gamer it won't make a difference.

gondo

Distinguished
The Acer is not certified by NVidia to be compatible, but it is reported as a compatible monitor with GForce cards and it works. Buy the Acer, get the IPS colors, and use the Freesync.

You won't get the response of the HP TN panel but unless your a super competitive gamer it won't make a difference.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
If you want better overall colours, viewing angles (and possibly worse blacks) get the IPS otherwise get the TN. Personally, given the choice I would always go for IPS over VA/TN.

Some VA panels have IPS quality color, and given the better contrast with VA you get near OLED quality. Look at Samsung Quantum VA screens....they look pretty damn good, almost as good as an OLED, without the burn in problem.