Question about getting an SSD

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys,

building a new system, I originally was gonna get 1 Samsung spinpoint 1 TB HDD, but I'm actually thinking about just getting a 500gb hdd and using the money I saved from that to get a 120gb SSD.

I would put my system files and games on the SSD

Now my question is since this is going on deal this morning:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

and since I have a $10 for SSD's, I am at least going to get one, but is it worth it to get two?

Windows 7 Ultimate only takes up about 20gb, correct? The only things besides that I will be putting on there will be Skyrim(and an endless amount of mods as well), BF3 and whatever else I can fit, but mainly these 3 things. Should I get one or two of these SSD's then? Thanks

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Just fixed the link, sorry about that. Deal is going to be for $85! No I originally wanted a 128gb but for this price I may just get 2 of those. But I won't go higher than $170. I'll either get 2 of these now or wait till black friday rolls around to get a 128gb one for cheap. Any risks to raid that I should get a single ssd over?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I have a ton of programs on my computer and I wouldn't fill a 120GB system drive.

Windows ~30GB (or less depending on your system settings for system recovery, recycling bin, and so forth)
Skyrim = 15GB + mods
BF3 = 15GB

Total = 60GB + mods. You should have plenty of space for other things on a single 120GB SSD and you'll always have your 500GB HDD. I wouldn't spend the extra money on a second SSD since it could be put to better use elsewhere in the system.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

In Raid 0 if any disk fails then the raid fails and you lose everything. The more devices the more likely you will be to have a device failure.

more or less, if the expected failure rate is 5% for a single disk over three years, the expected failure rate of a two-disk raid 0 over three years would be ~10% (in reality it is slightly less).

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
you can also install any other applications on your HDD to save the valuable space on the SSD. i installed this SSD as the OS, loaded with Win7 64bit professional, MS Office 2007, Norton AV, and Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro and still have 25GB leftover.

A second 64gb drive isn't necessary, and you can spend the extra $85 on the GPU, where it really matters.

You don't need to RAID an SSD. A single SSD is blinding fast, you wouldn't notice any performance improvement, and TRIM is not supported under RAID. I like your original idea, 120 gig for the OS and maybe a few games. I am using a 60 gig SSD for the OS, and a few other things like Office etc, all games and other programs on my WD 1 TB black. The performance is fantastic, and the OS is using about 25 gig of the SSD.