Question about Google Wifi

May 20, 2018
So I have a router downstairs on the complete opposite side of my house from my PC. My internet is decently strong downstairs, but upstairs where my computer is, it is horrible.(I am unable to move my router) I bought a netgear wifi extender that seemed to work for a few months but then the signal strength decreased a noticeable amount. I recently came across Google wifi, and I have an important question before I buy it. My question is if it is a standalone wifi network, or if it acts as a wifi extender for my other router?

Solution
The google wifi I think you are talking about is a mesh wifi setup. Please take a moment to read this :

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-mesh-wifi-router,news-24580.html

The google WiFi would replace your current WiFi. The first or main WiFi point would plug into your router/modem and other points would act as extenders. Since they are sold together, setup is very easy.

Your next question I bet ... will it be better? That's hard to answer. Theoretically, it should be better as you get more points working together, but the whole system is only as good as it's weakest link. The problem is service upstairs and if that is caused by an unusually thick floor or something is throwing out a lot of interference, then it might not help...
The google wifi I think you are talking about is a mesh wifi setup. Please take a moment to read this :

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-mesh-wifi-router,news-24580.html

The google WiFi would replace your current WiFi. The first or main WiFi point would plug into your router/modem and other points would act as extenders. Since they are sold together, setup is very easy.

Your next question I bet ... will it be better? That's hard to answer. Theoretically, it should be better as you get more points working together, but the whole system is only as good as it's weakest link. The problem is service upstairs and if that is caused by an unusually thick floor or something is throwing out a lot of interference, then it might not help. There is the possibility that you would be better served by running a wire upstairs plugging it into a WiFi access point (running a wire upstairs can be difficult ... depends on your house ... powerline networking is also an option).

Solution