[SOLVED] Question about GPT to MBR conversion

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I have a 2TB HDD partitioned in GPT mode and a trial installation of Windows 10 on C:. Data partitions are mostly empty. I believe there are tools to convert GPT to MBR and vice versa, but have never used them.

If I were to convert the disk to MBR (C: drive with Win 10 will be formatted before the conversion), what will happen to the EFI, MSR and Recovery partitions?

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
  1. Because this is not going to be my Win10 boot disk. I have an SSD for that and I want the HDD to be compatible with older OSes. I may want to install 7 or even XP on it.
  2. Depends on what I'll use it for.
  3. It's a trial installation for me, as in trying out Windows 10 on this particular computer.

Last edited:

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I could just convert it now and see what happens. But I spent some time installing Windows 10 and the updates took a few hours (much longer than when I installed Win 10 in other computers). I don't want to let all that time go to waste until I'm ready to make a more permanent setup.

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I know those other OSes won't make use of the GPT/UEFI partitions. I want to know if they will be -

deleted and made unallocated
wiped and left blank
left alone as they are
merged with C:

I could clean the HDD with DiskPart and start from scratch. But I'd like to know what converting with other tools will do.

USAFRet

Titan
I know those other OSes won't make use of the GPT/UEFI partitions. I want to know if they will be -

deleted and made unallocated
wiped and left blank
left alone as they are
merged with C:

I could clean the HDD with DiskPart and start from scratch. But I'd like to know what converting with other tools will do.
Unless you delete them, they will likely remain, cluttering up the drive for no good reason.