[SOLVED] Question about GPU

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

I´ve recently got my pc and i think i somehow messed it up. I don´t have much knowledge about pc but here are a few questions:

I was tweaking msi and is it harmful to leave fan speeds at the lowest? Like when you play a heavy /intensive game do the gpu throttle itself besides setting the fans at lowest speed through msi?

What does power and temp limit mean? The gpu will just underclock(throttle) if any given temperature is reached?

Here are some things that i´ve wanted to know but the big question is:

I was tweaking the settings in the msi(no ,i did not tweak voltage) and i´ve put core clock to its max and my gpu crashed(no video). All fans were active but could not turn off the computer just by pressing the power button but i´ve managed to shut it down by holding it. I´ve managed to turn on my computer again no issue but was this harmful at all? The gpu was at full load(temp limit) when the tweak(oc) happened(even with the crash)?(Note that only chrome was running,no heavy games) I´m also worried about fan speeds . I´m not sure if the fan speed was set to auto when this happened. Will this gpu throttle itself in this scenario? Even with the oc crash and the fan speed at the lowest? I´m worried if i somehow fried my pc

Msi was the only tool i tweaked, i did not tweak drivers and bios settings

I have i5 9400f , gtx 1060 galax , asus b360 gaming plus and a 500w power supply

Thank you(sorry for the big wall of text but i´m really scared if i somehow messed up my pc)

Solution
What you did was make the configuration unstable. You need to put the core clock BACK to it's default settings, along with everything else, and not touch ANY of them again until and UNLESS you take the time to educate yourself about them to the point that you actually know what it is that you are doing.

Just like with ANY component, increasing the core frequency to any significant degree without also increasing voltage, causes instability, and thus, it will freeze, or crash, or bluescreen, or restart or just act terribly corrupted. And increasing the core or operating frequency of components such as the GPU, CPU or memory doesn't offer any significant enough benefits to bother with IF you don't increase them enough that a voltage...
What you did was make the configuration unstable. You need to put the core clock BACK to it's default settings, along with everything else, and not touch ANY of them again until and UNLESS you take the time to educate yourself about them to the point that you actually know what it is that you are doing.

Just like with ANY component, increasing the core frequency to any significant degree without also increasing voltage, causes instability, and thus, it will freeze, or crash, or bluescreen, or restart or just act terribly corrupted. And increasing the core or operating frequency of components such as the GPU, CPU or memory doesn't offer any significant enough benefits to bother with IF you don't increase them enough that a voltage change becomes necessary so it's pretty much pointless.

It's doubtful you did any damage, but changing core voltage certainly CAN be harmful if you don't know what you are doing and test appropriately to make sure that it is thermally compliant still and that the increase in voltage is sufficient enough to maintain stability.

So learn what you are doing, or leave stuff alone, would be my advice. There are plenty of tutorials out there for virtually anything that somebody wants to do, readily available, that nobody has any excuse for "just trying" things without first learning the how, when and why about what it is they are trying to do.

Solution

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I got it but what about the fan speed? Can it adjust by itself(while in dangerous temperatures) besides msi? My pc is ok but is there anything i should do after this crash? I don´t intend on doing this again bc like i said idk much about pc and this was a accident tbh , i´m just worried if my gpu overheated during this crash because the msi settings(the oc , the fan speed and the crash itself)

Thank you

I would recommend that you leave the fan speed set to the default configuration or create a custom fan curve that begins to ramp up at around 50-60°C and includes full speed fan operation by the time it hits 75°C. You certainly don't want a fan configuration where the fans can't reach full speed before reaching 80 degrees. Between idle and 50° you can set it as low as you want, but keep in mind that even partial fan speeds can help keep the GPU from ever reaching full temperature so it might not be quieter in the long run.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Understood.

I´m going to leave it on auto but i´m wondering about the accident i did

Fans were fully operational during the crash right? besides msi settings?

I don´t plan on tweaking msi again tbh i´m just going to use riva for monitoring

Thank you

That's probably not a bad idea. Overclocking is fine, so long as you put in the work to learn the process, and how to do it correctly, first. The only way to know if anything is wrong is to try it. There is no other way, but it's unlikely a single crash due to instability could possibly cause any permanent damage.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Yes this crash is unlikely

But i´m not sure about the gpu temp while the crash happened.

It will always shut down, throttle besides any setting right? If it gets too hot

My pc was idle (50 celsius) when this happened but i just wanted to be sure

Thank you

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
No

My point is if my gpu was unstable during that crash it can still set the fans to the ideal rpm levels even if i tweaked the levels before in the msi?

I just wanted to know if during the crash (and setting the fan to the lowest levels through msi) somehow fried my gpu during the crash.

I just wanted to be sure like if during the crash the gpu temperature was at dangerous temperature lets say and my fans were somehow in the not appropriate level during the crash and could not dissipate the heat thus overheating my gpu

It is basically the gpu being too hot(during the crash) and the fan was at the lowest rpm(i´m not confirming this i just wanted to know if the fan auto adjusts if the gpu temp is dangerous even setting the fan at the lowest through msi)

Thank you

Like I said, there is no way for anybody to know that except you, and only by trying it. It works normal, it's ok. It doesn't, then it might need you to reconfigure the settings OR it may have been damaged, but I doubt it. These cards normally do a pretty good job of thermally protecting themselves.