Question Question about GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2019
My current setup:
  • PSU: (Antec) Earthwatts EA-500D Green (500W)
  • Mbo: Asus M5A87
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350
  • GPU: Asus GTX 1050 2gb
Full build can be seen here without current gpu: PCPartPicker

So I was thinking of getting a new GPU so I could play games like RDR2 and BL3 without lagging too much..
I think my best option would be to buy GTX 1660 because it isn't much more expensive than 1650 but a lot better.
I'm aware that 1660 will get bottlenecked by my CPU, but wouldn't it still be better than 1650, if my PSU is enough to run it safely?
That being said, I know I should just get a completely new setup but can't really afford it right now, and probably not anytime soon, so 1660 would be more futureproof and I could maybe just place it in the new rig later..

Did some calculations on some websites, results are here
Is that too much for my PSU? I wouldn't mind if it died but if other components got damaged then that would be a shame..
Here's image of same PSU I found explaining stuff so you don't have to search it.. btw it has a 6+2pin, guess it's okay..

TL;DR is my Psu good enough for 1660?
Particularly this one, it's on sale atm nearby..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Theoretically you'll be fine.

The particular graphics card you linked recommends a 450W PSU which yours does fulfil, but this doesn't account for quality. Looking at some PSU tier charts I'd feel somewhat uncomfortable with your current PSU. Certainly something to upgrade ASAP. Though getting a good PSU will also allow you to carry it over to a new build, so consider it a sound investment in future proofing.

You mention lag though, so I'm wondering if you've confirmed it's your graphics card that is the source of the issue rather than something else. If you're financially strained it might be best to confirm the cause of the lag before spending money. Just a thought.

Dec 25, 2019
Theoretically you'll be fine.

The particular graphics card you linked recommends a 450W PSU which yours does fulfil, but this doesn't account for quality. Looking at some PSU tier charts I'd feel somewhat uncomfortable with your current PSU. Certainly something to upgrade ASAP. Though getting a good PSU will also allow you to carry it over to a new build, so consider it a sound investment in future proofing.

You mention lag though, so I'm wondering if you've confirmed it's your graphics card that is the source of the issue rather than something else. If you're financially strained it might be best to confirm the cause of the lag before spending money. Just a thought.

Yea, theoretically.. figured that much.. so it's a gamble..

I mentioned lagging because I tried BL3 with this setup and.. it didn't lag much with low settings but enough to make the game unenjoyable. And according to this I think GPU is the problem with my current setup. But can you trust these calculators, idk.. and according to that same site 1650 would be like a perfect match for my current setup, however it just feels stupid to buy it when if you add a little bit more u could get that 1660 and use it later too..

Getting new PSU with 1660, and putting them to new rig later, that is a good point, however I guess a good PSU is at least another 100€ and this current psu came with the case so I'm not comfortable with replacing but I guess it's doable..

Anyways, I appreciate it, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS